In a classic case of forgetting where you came from, Twitter is suffocating third party Twitter apps until they die so the only Twitter people know is from Twitter, Inc. itself. This sucks for many reasons — mostly because Twitter apps suck compared to third party apps — but also because of this: the Twitter we know today wouldn’t exist without the help of the third party apps Twitter is trying to kill.
For example, did you know tweet wasn’t a word created by Twitter but by third parties?
Craig Hockenberry of Twitterific listed the reasons of why third parties are important to Twitter a year ago and it’s truer than ever today:
- First use of “tweet” to describe an update (see page 86 of Dom Sagolla’s book.)
- First use of a bird icon.
- First native client on Macintosh.
- First character counter as you type.
- First to support replies and conversations (in collaboration with Twitter engineering.)
- First native client on iPhone.