Welcome to Shooting Challenge, where Gizmodo readers test their photographic skills for the admiration of their editors — and for the chance to win a shiny new Olympus OM-D EM-5 DSLR camera… Think fast: entries close Tuesday morning!
The Olympus OM-D EM-5 is designed to make the jump into DSLR easy. With Live View functionality that lets you see exactly what a shot will look like before you take it, coupled with a 5-axis in-body image stabiliser for shooting in low light, and a retro design inspired by the first OM-D from 1972, the EM-5 lets you capture some beautiful shots. More at Olympus.
We’re excited to be able to give this camera away to Gizmodo’s Shooting Challenge faithful.
The kit you’re playing for is valued at $1499, and includes the OM-D EM-5 body and 12-50mm lens, both of which are weatherproof so you can feel confident when Mother Nature turns on you.
This Week’s Challenge: Gizmodo Logo
The E-M5’s weatherproof magnesium alloy body got us thinking about the curves of our own glossy Gizmodo logo. And so this week’s theme was born! We’re looking for your creative photographic interpretations of our logo – light painting, lego blocks, nuts and bolts, power cables, sand castles, you name it. We’ll use these pics as art on the site going forward (with a credit to you).
So extra points if you can squeeze in “AU” or “Australia” after “Gizmodo”.
We’re not looking for sketches or heavily Photoshopped work (let’s save that for a future ‘shop challenge).
UPDATE: Here’s a transparent PNG of our Gizmodo Logo — but again, we’re not looking for heavily photoshopped work this time round.
Also, don’t forget to check that your JPG has its EXIF info intact!
How Judging Works
- For four weeks, Gizmodo readers will vote one weekly Shooting Challenge finalist through to the prize round to be judged and announced by Gizmodo editors on Friday, July 25.
- This week’s entries close at 10am on Tuesday, July 3.
- ‘Gizmodo Logo’ voting begins at 11.30am on Tuesday, July 3, and close at 10am on Tuesday, July 10.
- Full terms and conditions.
- The work must be your own.
- Photos need to be taken the week of the contest (June 26-July 3). No portfolio shots please.
- EXIF info must be visible to us — check for it before you submit!
- Explain (briefly) the photography equipment, settings, technique and story behind the shot.
- Include your shooting summary (camera, lens, ISO, etc) in the body of the email along with a story of the shot in a few sentences.
- Entries must be submitted via the entry form below.
- Don’t forget to name your image attachment properly!
- Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameGizLogo.jpg naming convention.
- Please ensure your image is at least 800px wide and no larger than 3MB.
- One submission per person.
- Don’t skip the story part because it’s often the most enjoyable part for us all beyond the great photos!
Submit Your Entry
Need Inspiration? Check out the previous Gizmodo Shooting Challenges.
This form has been tested and we’ve been receiving great entries — but if you’re having issues submitting, please contact Danny Allen.