If you're tempted by the new Mac Pro, it's pretty damn pricey. Opting for just the base specs with no add-ons it will still cost you $9,999. But what if you wanted to push things to the limits because you actually have 'fuck you' money to burn and worship at the alter of consumerism? Might we suggest pumping up those specs for a casual $84,778?
Oh and that won't count include a monitor.
It’s been over a year since Apple last teased the Mac Pro, a major refresh to its traditionally priciest and most powerful computer. And finally—finally! The successor to the “trashcan” is here and it looks a lot like a cheese grater (it also looks like it’s potentially very powerful).
That's right, you can actually drop a home-loan deposit amount of money on Apple's latest powerful cheese grater. You can even push it towards $100,000 if you want to drop a further $11,700 on the Pro Stand and the Pro Display XDR - nano textured glass version of course, darling.
Here's the pricing breakdown so you can wail in plebeian despair.
- Base Cost: $9,999
- Processor: 2.5GHz 28‑Core Intel Xeon W processor with Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz ($11,200)
- GPU: 2 x Radeon Pro Vega II Duo with 2 × 32GB of HBM2 memory each ($17,280)
- Storage: 2 x 2TB SSD ($2,240.00)
- RAM: 1.5TB (12 × 128GB) of DDR4 ECC memory ($40,000)
- Afterburner card: $3,200
- Wheels: Hahahaha ($640)
- Magic Mouse 2 + Magic Trackpad 2: $219
All up that is a cool $84,799. And if you want to pump those numbers up and throw in the stand and priciest Pro Display XDR, you're looking at $96,476.
But let's not forget that the Radeon GPU can handle four monitors. So why not go completely ham and fill those display ports up? Doing so will bring the total cost to $126,473.
None of this includes pre-installed software such as Final Cut Pro X or Logic Pro X - but you can add them both for an additional $818.99.
The thing that kills me the most here is $640 for WHEELS. It's so ridiculous that you're almost obliged to respect it.
I also love the raw feelings this beautiful monstrosity manifested in the wider Gizmodo, Kotaku and Lifehacker team. Some headline suggestions that were suggested in Slack included:
- This $85K Mac Pro Can Do Sick Wheelies, If That Makes It Worth It For You
- If I Spent 85K On A Mac And Saw A Spinning Wheel For Even One Second I Would Flip The Fuck Out
- $85K For A Macbook Pro. Go Home Apple, You're Drunk
- The Best Macbook Pro Is Fucking Lol
- Apple Wants You To Choose A House Deposit Or A Mac Pro
- I Can Buy 42 MacBook Pros For The Price Of A Single Mac Pro
- A Tesla Is Cheaper Than A Mac Pro In Australia
- The Mac Pro Is Worth More Than My Entire Education, And All I’d Use It For Is Facebook
- Apple's Best Macbook Pro Wheels Legit Cost More Than My Laptop
- Why Is Apple Like This?
- Immediately Fire Any Asshole Who Buys The Top Of The Line Mac Pro
- The Mac Pro Costs $84K And All I Have To Say Is: Eat The Rich
- Would You Pay $85K For A Mac Pro? If Yes, Please Walk Calmly Into The Ocean Until The Waves Overlap Your Head And Remain There. Also, Give Your Money To Me You Fucking Deranged Fanboy
Just, wow. I need to go and check in on my co-workers and also cry into my instant coffee.