There’s a new Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO) in town, and they are hard-targeting Millennials with cheap mobile plans.
Founder Todd Scott, an entrepreneur from Melbourne, started the telco as a response to complaints from his friends in regards to their mobile operators.
Lyf claim to offer “cheap, fast service with minimal contracts, Australian based customer service and a social conscience.
Here are some of the ways Lyf mobile are trying to set themelves apart from out MVNO telcos:
- Month-to-month contract (but you will be charged $50 if you leave in the first three months)
- 24/7 customer service line based in Australia
- Ability to scale up and down between packages
- Runs entirely online
And these are the plans:
- Mini (1.5GB data, $1000 calls, unlimited national SMS & MMS) – $25
- Standard+ (4GB data, unlimited national calls, SMS & MMS, 100 minutes of calls up to 26 countries) – $40
- Super+ (10GB, unlimited national calls, SMS & MMS, 300 minutes of calls up to 26 countries) – $45
- Max+ (20GB data, unlimited national calls, SMS & MMS, 300 minutes of calls up to 26 countries) – $50
A press release from Lyf Mobile states that plans start “at a low $20 per month that only go to $50.”
However, the current prices on the plans are cheaper than what they usually will be. In fact, the Super+ and Max+ plans state $55 per month and $65 per month prices respectively. You can only see this detailed information when you click into the individual plans.
A Lyf Mobile spokesperson told Gizmodo Australia that while these prices are introductory, the offer has no expiry date. Furthermore, anyone who signs up under these introductory offers will not see a price increase if and when they expire.
According to the same spokesperson, Lyf Mobile founder Todd Scott said the plans would likely drop in price, rather than increase. That means the introductory prices are likely to be permanent, rather than introductory.
There are also plans out in market already who are doing similar things to Lyf, but cheaper. Taking the 20GB plan as an example:
And here are a couple that also don’t have a contract.
Find more information on Lyf Mobile over on their website.