Welcome to Gizmodo's new regular Monday run down of what's coming soon in the world of science fiction entertainment. This week: Supergirl leaks online, the awesome new Mad Max: Fury Road comic arrives and we've got a trailer for an upcoming flick featuring zombie Nazis riding flying sharks...
Bits And Pieces
• Ahead of its November release, the pilot episode of Supergirl leaked online over the weekend, days after sibling DC-inspired shows The Flash and Arrow aired season finales. Coincidence? Watch the 8-minute Supergirl trailer here.
• Confirmed: Telepathic cop Matt Parkman will be reuniting with Hiro Nakamura in the 13-episode run of Heroes: Reborn.
• Wired has posted the first pictures of Orgrim the Orc from next year's Warcraft movie directed by Duncan Jones (Moon, Source Code). The effects are being led by Industrial Light and Magic — long-time masters of special effects, as evidenced in this amazing documentary [YouTube] from 1984. It profiles work across Explorers, Return Of The Jedi and more.
• Disney Sci-Fi Tomorrowland (inspired by the future-themed area of Disneyland) opens in Australia this week. It hit US cinemas over the weekend, and is currently sitting on 7/10 over at IMDB.
• There's a Mad Max: Fury Road comic. And issue 1 — serving as something of a prelude — is available now.
• The Fifth Element director Luc Besson will next be directing Valerian — based on the French sci-fi comics. He’s calling it the biggest challenge of his career.
• The TV series of Tomorrow When The War Began has received Screen Australia funding for ABC3. Let’s hope they don’t make it too emo.
• Seven seasons and 176 episodes of Deep Space Nine now added to Aussie video streaming service Stan.
• The long gestating Neuromancer movie has lost filmmaker Vincenzo Natal (Cube, Spliced) as director, but picked up new Chinese financiers. Will William Gibson’s classic ever make it to the screen?
• Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson has signed on to star in Alpha Squad Seven, an original action-comedy adventure set in space.
• Hey space suit nerds: the first official photos of Matt Damon in 'The Martian' movie are out.
• UK Sci-Fi comedy Red Dwarf gets not one, but two new seasons.
• So apparently Kate Beckinsale is returning for Underworld 5. Yeah, there's no real reason why — oh wait, $459 million in global box office. WTF.
• After some contract disputes, Brad Pitt is back on to star in the sequel to World War Z, now slated for June 2017.
Short Film Of The Week
The Rise and Fall of Globosome
In the vastness of space, there’s a small speck of rock inhabited by the most peculiar lifeforms: Dark little "Globosomes" that start to replicate fast and begin to show signs of intelligence. The film tells the story of the rise and fall of these little creatures.
• Read The First Chapter Of Neal Stephenson's New Novel, Seveneves [Gizmodo]
• 12 New Science Fiction Comics You Absolutely Need To Be Reading [io9]
Sky Sharks [Movie]: ZOMBIE NAZIS!
An insane Kickstarter movie with effects from some of the Game Of Thrones crew and a whole bunch of Nazi zombies riding flying sharks. Sure, why not.
Batman: Arkham Knight [Game]: Be The Batman
A live-action trailer for the upcoming game from DC and Rocksteady Studios with some Nine Inch Nails in the background.
The Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials Trailer [Movie]: Because I Don’t Even...
In this next chapter of the epic Maze Runner saga, Thomas (Dylan O’Brien) and his fellow Gladers face their greatest challenge yet: searching for clues about the mysterious and powerful organization known as WCKD.
Pan [Movie]: Flying Ships Ahoy!
The retold story of an orphan who is spirited away to the magical Neverland.