The always excellent Tony Zhou of Every Frame a Painting takes a closer look at what makes Jackie Chan action movies so fun to watch. It’s Jackie Chan’s brand of action comedy that makes him so special, he plays the underdog, he uses the environment around him, he’s a perfectionist and so much more.
Every Frame a Painting broke down the principles of Jackie Chan’s action comedies and makes me see them in a whole new light.
The 9 Principles of Action Comedy
1. Start with a DISADVANTAGE
2. Use the ENVIRONMENT
3. Be CLEAR in your shots
4. Action & Reaction in the SAME frame
5. Do as many TAKES as necessary
6. Let the audience feel the RHYTHM
7. In editing, TWO good hits = ONE great hit
8. PAIN is humanising
9. Earn your FINISH