We love running competitions here on Giz because you guys always have such well-informed and creative entries. This one was no different. Here’s who we picked (in no particular order)…
We’ll email you for address details so you can use your voucher to grab some of the great discounts on the Acer Store.
We fear tax time, too!
1. @dawgax I’d spend my $100 on the Acer Aspire S7 (Touch). http://www.acerstore.com.au/acer/store/index.php/aspire-s7-391-73534g25aws.html My last computer is 8 years old and is in desperate need of replacement. I can take me almost a minute to open internet explorer when nothing else is open and my 6, z, – and Delete keys no longer work. If I don’t win this, I’m not looking forward to doing my tax this year without using the number 6!
We’ve been there…
2. @smj276 I’d be getting the W511 http://www.acerstore.com.au/acer/store/index.php/tablet/windows.html. Sick of all the tricks and work-arounds I need to do to get my iPad and Android devices to work in my Windows world.
Dr Who reference win!
3. @aussiewan http://www.acerstore.com.au/acer/store/index.php/iconia-w700-53314g12as-with-cradle-and-keyboard.html *drool* The $100 would pay for the upgrade to the version that comes with the keyboard. Let’s face it, if you’re going to spend the extra money on a tablet to get a device that can run a full-blown PC OS, you want to be able to create media on the device, not just consume. My typing rate halves when I go to an on-screen keyboard. To catch up on episodes of Dr Who, the keyboard can be used as a stand or be completely out of the way. A truly versatile device!
Keeping it clean…
4. @davehair With the upcoming build of our very first home and my very first theatre room I couldn’t go past putting it towards the H6510BD DLP home series projector (http://www.acerstore.com.au/acer/store/index.php/h6510bd-dlp-3d-ready.html). This would be a great start to the grand dream of a full home theatre with in roof surround sound speaker setup in a sunken ceiling and roof mounted projector for a nice clean look.
5. @gabe_w The new Acer Aspire S7 Ultrabook because it is a no-compromise device. The best of everything and will allow me to communicate with dolphins like Megan Fox does. http://www.acerstore.com.au/acer/store/index.php/aspire-s7-391-73534g25aws.html
TL;DR. Nah, joking. Good luck with Openstack.
6. @wallaby13 I would use the voucher towards an Aspire M5 Notebook http://www.acerstore.com.au/acer/store/index.php/btu_bundle3#anchor1. This is one of few 14 inch laptops with a dedicated graphics card. This laptop would replace my current 4 year old laptop that i use for my Information Technology studies. I find myself creating or using virtual machines every second week to test and explore new ideas and concepts. It is sad to know that my current phone has twice the cpu power and twice the ram of my current laptop. How i wish i could run the virtual machines on it instead. With a new laptop this would be no more. Now what would you do with your old laptop i hear you ask. Well in the short term it would become a linux testing pc. some concepts such as XEN, Openstack and open flow are a bit hard to test in a virtual machine so the laptop would be used to test these. In the long term i hope to ship the old laptop to a not so fortunat country for use in their school system. Thanks in advance for helping me make this happen.more. Now what would you do with your old laptop i hear you ask. Well in the short term it would become a linux testing pc. some concepts such as XEN, Openstack and open flow are a bit hard to test in a virtual machine so the laptop would be used to test these. In the long term i hope to ship the old laptop to a not so fortunat country for use in their school system. Thanks in advance for helping me make this happen.
Good luck with your PHD David!
7. @David K I have been wanting an ultrabook and this is just the kick I need. I would buy the Aspire S5. It is powerful enough to handle all the simulations I do for my PhD but also portable enough that I can bring it to Korea with me when I travel there for 6 weeks of experiments. I can’t wait to order it 🙂 http://www.acerstore.com.au/acer/store/index.php/aspire-s5-391-73514g25akk.html
8. @twang http://www.acerstore.com.au/acer/store/index.php/iconia-w511-27602g06iss-with-keyboard-bonus-office.html W511: I would use it in the hospital and ward rounds to check results and show patients what their scans look like. It beats trying to describe the scans to people for ones that are unable to get out of bed to see it for themselves.
Baldur’s Gate FTW!
9. @Albert Since being a first time father all my priorities have now changed. My favourite pastime of playing videogames and watching movies have now been replaced with changing nappies and other fatherly duties around the house.
Now I’m not having a full on whinge as I love my son and could not bear to think of him not in my life. The only spare time I have nowadays are the one hour bus trips to and from work. This is where the Acer W511 http://www.acerstore.com.au/acer/store/index.php/iconia-w511-27602g06iss-with-keyboard-bonus-office.html comes in.
While an iPad or Android tablet can play movies, their games are way too simple for my liking so I’ve never been interested in getting one.
With the W511 I can install classic Windows games! Imagine playing big RPGs like Fallout and Baldur’s Gate in 1 hour sessions with no interruption!
If I get stuck I can even search the Internet using 3G for game hints and if I need a break from gaming I can watch a movie in HD on a 10.1” screen.
Hey @hypnerotomachia — you won!
10. @hypnerotomachia In the early 80’s I reprogrammed the family C64 to flash multi-coloured messages of “I won” across the screen continually. I was banned. The following year I did the same to the Amstrad. Banned.
I waited a few years before I tried again. This time with dad’s flash new work IBM. Again I was banned. Some of my school and uni Macswill never be the same again. I had to write my essays by hand. Hammer ban. Bricked my Android. Banned. Upgraded the home PC to windows 7. Banned for ‘moving my stuff’ by my wife. Another android bricked and had to use inferior flip-phone. Fashion ban.
I promise if I win the cash and get this sweet mother Iconia W700 http://www.acerstore.com.au/acer/store/index.php/iconia-w700-53314g12as-with-cradle-and-keyboard.html that I will never be banned again. Maybe.