Welcome to Shooting Challenge, where Gizmodo readers test their photographic skills for the admiration of their editors — and for the second month — the chance to win a shiny new Olympus OM-D EM-5 camera. Entries close Tuesday morning….
That’s right, we’re back with a second Olympus OM-D EM-5 camera to giveaway! The EM-5 is designed to make the jump into Micro Four-Thirds shooting easy. With Live View functionality that lets you see exactly what a shot will look like before you take it, coupled with a 5-axis in-body image stabiliser for shooting in low light, and a retro design inspired by the first OM-D from 1972, the EM-5 lets you capture some beautiful shots. More at Olympus.
We’re excited to be able to give this one more away to Gizmodo’s Shooting Challenge faithful.
The kit you’re playing for is valued at $1499, and includes the OM-D EM-5 body and 12-50mm lens, both of which are weatherproof so you can feel confident when Mother Nature turns on you.
This Week’s Challenge: Liquid
One of the better things about the OMD kit you’ll walk away with if you win the Shooting Challenge is the weatherproof body and lens that will allow you to keep shooting even when the skies turn black and the rain starts lashing down. When the camera was unveiled last year, Olympus demonstrated how weatherproof it was by pouring bottled water through the lens. Amazingly, the camera was snapping shots the whole time! That’s what has inspired this week’s Shooting Challenge: Liquid!
Whether it be the bright blue water of the ocean or the grey, dark tones that go along with a rainy winter’s day, we want to see what you think best encapsulates Liquid. Our example was captured today down at the Opera House fountain. The light hitting the spray of the fountain created a beautiful water-based rainbow.
We don’t want stuff that’s been too heavily photoshopped, and you must include all that EXIF data with your entry in order to be eligible.
How Judging Works
- Once again, for four weeks, Gizmodo readers will vote one weekly Shooting Challenge finalist through to the prize round to be judged and announced by Gizmodo editors on Friday, August 21.
- This week’s entries close at 10am on Tuesday, July 31.
- ‘Liquid’ voting will begin at 11.30am on Tuesday, July 31, and close at 10am on Tuesday, August 7.
- We have altered the terms and conditions [PDF] for the Shooting Challenge. Linking friends from your social networks to the Gizmodo voting page is encouraged, however, use of “vote farming” sites including (but not limited to) GetOnlineVotes or linking directly to polldaddy.com will now result in instant disqualification. The goal is to grow the Giz Shooting Community in the fairest way possible. Also a reminder to please be respectful and constructive if leaving a comment about a photo.
- The work must be your own.
- You must berespectful and constructive if leaving a comment
- Photos need to be taken the week of the contest (July 24-31). No portfolio shots please.
- EXIF info must be visible to us — check for it before you submit!
- Explain (briefly) the photography equipment, settings, technique and story behind the shot.
- Include your shooting summary (camera, lens, ISO, etc) in the body of the email along with a story of the shot in a few sentences.
- Entries must be submitted via the entry form below.
- Don’t forget to name your image attachment properly!
- Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameLiquid.jpg naming convention.
- Please ensure your image is at least 800px wide and no larger than 3MB.
- One submission per person.
- Don’t skip the story part because it’s often the most enjoyable part for us all beyond the great photos!
Submit Your Entry
Need Inspiration? Check out the previous Gizmodo Shooting Challenges.
This form has been tested and we’ve been receiving great entries — but if you’re having issues submitting, please contact Danny Allen.
Oops! We could not locate your form.
Image: Luke Hopewell, All Rights Reserved