Jailbreaking is a process that changes little by little with each iOS upgrade. Rather than always publishing new guides, we're simply going to keep this one up to date. If you want to jailbreak your iOS device, you've come to the right page.
Current Untethered Version: iOS 4.3.1 For additional jailbreak options for other versions of iOS, please see the list at the bottom of this page. As this guide is updated, previous versions of the guide will be archived there as well.
Music by Adrian Holovaty
The video above will show you how the whole process works, both on your computer and your iOS device, but here are the steps:
- Connect your iOS device to your computer. It's always good to back it up before jailbreaking (use PKGBackup if you already have a jailbroken device and want a more comprehensive backup) in case something goes wrong, but before you get started with the jailbreak you'll want to quit iTunes.
- Download redsn0w from the iPhone Dev-Team, download the iOS 4.3.1 IPSW for your specific device, and the update to the latest version of iTunes. It is very important that you download the IPSW file that corresponds to your specific iDevice or this will not work.
- Open the IPSW file with redsn0w and let redsn0w do it's thing. When it's done it'll ask you to select some options before starting the jailbreak process. You'll have four at the bottom of your screen and you really only need to select the first, which is "Install Cydia". If you're not familiar, Cydia is basically the jailbreak app store and you'll need it to install jailbreak apps, hacks, extensions, etc.
- On the next screen you'll be asked to turn off your iDevice and connect it to your computer, so do that. Then get ready because as soon as you click next you're going to have to do some quick work.
- To start, hold down your power button for three seconds. After three seconds, don't let go but start pressing your home button as well for another 10 seconds. After that 10 seconds has passed, let go of the power button but not the home button. Redsn0w will tell you to hold the home button for about 15 seconds but in most cases you'll be able to let go a lot sooner than that. You'll know because the instructions will disappear and stuff will start happening. Redsn0w will guide you through this process as it happens so don't worry about getting the timing right. If you screw it up — and you probably will the first time — you can always try again.
- Once you're done you'll see a lot of text appear on your iDevice's screen. This is normal. Pretty quickly redsn0w will tell you it is done and you'll just have to wait for things to finish up on the iOS screen. iOS will take several minutes to finish so be patient. Eventually your device will be ready and it'll reboot all by itself.
And you're done! You'll find Cydia installed on your home screen (although if you have a ton of apps you'll need to scroll through pages to find it). Launch it and you're ready to go! Don't know what to do next? Check out our jailbreaking tag page for some ideas.
Jailbreaking Options for Older iOS Devices
- Jailbreak for iOS 4.2.1
- Jailbreak for Apple TV 2G
- Jailbreak for iOS 4.1
- Jailbreak for iOS 4.0 and 4.0.1
- Jailbreak for iOS 3.1.3 and 3.1.5
- Jailbreak for iOS 3.1.2
- Jailbreak for iOS 2.2.1
- Jailbreak for iOS 1.1.4
Republished from Lifehacker