Apple’s iOS 14.4 update is here and with it comes some new features along with improvements and bug fixes. Here’s everything you need to know.
This article has been updated with the latest additions and bug fixes.
What’s new about the iOS 14.4 update?
Apple’s latest update is fairly small in comparison to previous iOS 14 patches.
Firstly, iOS 14.4 addresses some malicious security issues which you can read about here. Given that Apple thinks these issues may have been actively exploited its probably a good idea to update your software sooner rather than later.
The update introduces smaller QR code recognition by iPhone cameras, which is logical seeing as QR code COVID-19 check-ins are taking off around the world. There’s also a new feature that will alert you if the camera in your iPhone 12 series device isn’t a genuine Apple product.
In terms of fixes in iOS 14.4, there’s an update for keyboard lag and some small corrections for HDR photos and the Apple Fitness widget.
Similar fixes have also been included in the iPad iOS 14.4 update.
You can read the full release notes for the iOS 14.4 update below:
- Smaller QR codes can be recognized by Camera
- Option to classify Bluetooth device type in Settings for correct identification of headphones for audio notifications
- Notifications for when the camera on your iPhone is unable to be verified as a new, genuine Apple camera in iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max
This release also fixes the following issues:
- Image artifacts could appear in HDR photos taken with iPhone 12 Pro
- Fitness widget may not display updated Activity data
- Typing may be delayed and word suggestions may not appear in the keyboard
- The keyboard may not come up in the correct language in Messages
- Audio stories from the News app in CarPlay may not resume after being paused for spoken directions or Siri
- Enabling Switch Control in Accessibility may prevent phone calls from being answered from the Lock Screen.
Some features may not be available for all regions or on all Apple devices.
iOS 14 compatible devices
iOS 14 is compatible with all the same devices as iOS 13. Congrats!
Here’s a full list of compatible devices:
- iPhone 12
- iPhone SE (2020)
- iPhone 11
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XR
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPhone SE (2016)
- iPod touch (7th generation)
How to install the latest iOS 14 update
You can install the iOS 14.4 update by going to Settings > General > Software Update.
Disclosure: the author owns 12 shares in Apple.