Samsung’s announced two new additions to its budget A series, the A31 and A71 5G, which is set to be one of the most affordable 5G handsets yet.
The smartphone giant has announced its releasing the Samsung Galaxy A31, a new mid-tier phone that slashes the price while maintaining some of the high-end features you’ve come to expect in 2020 smartphones. It also confirmed the budget 5G phone, the A71, would finally be coming to Australia after being announced earlier this year.
5G phones just aren’t cheap in Australia with some of the cheapest available still coming in at over $1,000. Samsung’s other 5G budget entry is the Galaxy A90 5G, which retails for $1,049. The A71 5G slices another $150 off that cost giving customers without huge disposable incomes a chance to own their own.
“The growing mid-tier market journey is well documented, for us the Galaxy A20 was one of the most
popular smartphones of 2019. So, we understand that a large proportion of our local audience want to consider their spending, but also desire access to the latest technology,” Samsung Australia’s Vice President Garry McGregor said in a press release.
“We’ve responded to many consumer pain points around battery, storage and performance and delivered
on those features we know Australians care most about like camera, display and design.”
But if you want to know what features and hardware you’re actually going to get with the two models, here’s a look at what each phone comes packed with.
Samsung Galaxy A31 and A71 5G specs
Samsung A31 specs list
- Display: 6.4-inch, Full HD+ (1080 x2400), Super AMOLED, Infinity-U Display
- Rear camera: Main: 48MP, F2.0, Ultra-Wide: 8MP, F2.2, Depth: 5MP, F2.4, Macro: 5MP, F2.4
- Front camera: 20MP, F2.2
- Dimensions: 73.1 x 159.3 x 8.6 mm, 185g
- Processor: Octa Core (Dual 2.0GHz + Hexa 1.7GHz), 4 / 6GB RAM
- Memory: 64GB/128GB Internal Storage, Micro SD slot (up to 512 GB)
- Battery: 5,000 mAh (typical), 15W Fast Charging
- Colours: Prism Crush Black and Prism Crush Blue
Samsung A71 5G specs list
- Display: 6.7-inch FHD+ Super AMOLED Plus, Infinity-O Display(1080X2400)
- Rear camera: Main: 64MP, F1.8, Ultra Wide: 12MP, F2.2, Depth: 5MP, F2.2, Macro: 5MP, F2.4
- Front camera: 32MP, F2.2
- Dimensions: 75.5 x 162.5 x 8.1mm, 185g
- Processor: Octa Core (Dual 2.2GHz + Hexa 1.8GHz)
- Memory: 6GB/8GB RAM, 128GB Internal Storage, Micro SD slot (up to 1TB)
- Battery: 4,500mAh (typical), 25W Super Fast Charging
- Colours: Prism Cube Black and Prism Cube White
Samsung Galaxy A31 and A71 5G Australian price and release date
The Samsung Galaxy A31 will be the first of the two available when it hits stores from Monday, May 18. It will set you back $499 and is available from Samsung online and all major retailers including JB Hi-Fi, Bing Lee, Harvey Norman and The Good Guys.
The A71 5G is a little pricier at $899 but still cheaper than other available 5G handsets in Australia. You’ll be able to get your hands on it from Wednesday, May 20 through Samsung online and selected operators ” likely JB Hi-Fi, Bing Lee and other similar retailers.
5G has landed and with it, comes a barrage of new release 5G-enabled phones. Right now, however, they're damn expensive meaning many Australians are locked out of upgrading. Samsung's upcoming 5G entry might be about to change all that.Read more