Studio Ghibli films are some of the best animation in the business ... and they're notoriously hard to stream. As of next month, however, that's about to get a lot easier thanks to Netflix.
21 Studio Ghibli films will be added to Netflix Australia this year - but not Netflix in the US or Japan. They'll be added in three blocks, with seven films added at the start of February, March and April.
From February 2020, 21 films from the legendary animation house Studio Ghibli are coming exclusively to Netflix.
We’re proud to bring beloved, influential stories like Spirited Away, Howl’s Moving Castle and My Neighbour Totoro to first-time viewers and high-flying fans alike. pic.twitter.com/955uiYAzA1
— Netflix ANZ (@NetflixANZ) January 20, 2020
From February 1, Australians will be able to stream the following:
- Castle in the Sky (1986)
- My Neighbor Totoro (1988)
- Kiki’s Delivery Service (1989)
- Only Yesterday (1991)
- Porco Rosso (1992)
- Ocean Waves (1993)
- Tales from Earthsea (2006)
And from March 1, the following will be added, including Spirited Away:
- Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984)
- Princess Mononoke (1997)
- My Neighbors the Yamadas (1999)
- Spirited Away (2001)
- The Cat Returns (2002)
- Arrietty (2010)
- The Tale of The Princess Kaguya (2013)
And on April's Fools Day, Netflix Australia will get:
- Pom Poko (1994)
- Whisper of the Heart (1995)
- Howl's Moving Castle (2004)
- Ponyo (2008)
- From Up on Poppy Hill (2011)
- The Wind Rises (2013)
- When Marnie Was There (2014)
There'll be dubs in 20 languages, with subtitles for 28.