The Mate 30 series was the first of Huawei’s lineup released without any access to Google’s services, thanks to Trump’s controversial ban in May 2019. But just in case it wasn’t clear, a new hardware teardown by a Japanese firm and reported by the Wall Street Journal shows Huawei’s managed to pull off building the smartphone without a single piece of U.S.-built hardware too.
According to the report from the Wall Street Journal, Japanese tech firm Fomalhaut Techno Solutions completed an analysis of the Huawei Mate 30’s hardware and found it doesn’t contain a single piece of hardware originating from the U.S.
It was found the device contained NXP Semiconductors from the Netherlands in place of semiconductors from Cirrus Logic, a U.S. company. Previous Huawei devices also used Qualcomm technology, a San Diego-based chip maker, while the Mate 30 uses the powerful Kirin 990, built by Huawei itself.
“Huawei has always sought to use component suppliers from right around the world in order to source the best possible technology for our consumers,” a Huawei spokesperson told Gizmodo Australia. “If we are unable to source components from certain countries then we know that we can find those components from suppliers in other markets. Putting our consumers first and delivering meaningful innovation has always been our top priority, regardless of the challenges we face.”
After news broke back in May 2019 of the bans, reports naturally focused on what software the new devices would be fitted with given Google confirmed it could now no longer work with Huawei. The actual hardware built into the device was almost an afterthought, in part, due to the fact Huawei had already began building its own. The WSJ’s report confirms Huawei’s doing just fine, hardware-wise, despite the ban.
Earlier this month, it was revealed by Reuters that Microsoft had been granted a temporary licence to work with the Chinese company.
“On Nov. 20, the U.S. Department of Commerce granted Microsoft’s request for a license to export mass-market software to Huawei,” Microsoft said in a statement to Reuters. “We appreciate the department’s action in response to our request.”
While it appeared to be a slight reprieve for the embattled company, a separate Reuters report indicated it could unravel even further. It alleged the Trump administration was considering whether to extend the ban to include U.S. allies, like Australia or Canada. While the details haven’t yet been sketched out and banning foreign supply chains is beyond the reach of U.S. authorities, the effects, if ever enacted, would be potentially disastrous.
Until an official announcement is made, however, it’s unclear what Huawei’s immediate future shapes up to be. Even with all the bells and whistles, it’s a hard sell buying a phone where you can’t easily download YouTube or Gmail.
After months of political turmoil, one major U.S. company is getting a reprieve from President Donald Trump's bans.Read more