We're nearing the end of 2017, and that means it's time for everyone to reflect on the year it was. Tumblr has already kicked off the annual navel gazing with its year in review by releasing the most important data of all: the most popular fictional pairings of the year, and we're here to debate them.
The information came up in, of all places, a New York Times piece about explaining elements of the culture those gosh darned kids have cooked up for themselves on the internet to your average Times reader. Yes, this is the Times' guide to shipping.
But that's not the point — we're here to relentlessly judge the top ships of 2017, as decided by Tumblr popularity, one of the most vital shipping metrics around. And they run a gamut, let me tell you:
1. "Voltron: Legendary Defender;" Keith and Lance; Klance
2. "Shadowhunters;" Magnus Bane and Alec Lightwood; Malec
3. "Yuri!!! on Ice;" Victor Nikiforov and Yuri Katsuki; Victuuri
4. YouTube; Daniel Howell and Phil Lester; Phan
5. Park Jimin and Jeon Jungkook, Jikook
6. "Supergirl;" Kara Danvers and Lena Luthor; Supercorp
7. "Overwatch;" Jesse McCree and Hanzo Shimada; McHanzo
8. "Yuri!!! on Ice;" Otabek Altin and Yuri Plisetsky; Otayuri
9. "Supergirl;" Maggie Sawyer and Alex Danvers, Sanvers
10."Wynonna Earp;" Waverly Earp and Nicole Haught; Wayhaught
Congratulations to Supergirl for managing to out-ship the relationship drama of literally all of the CW/DC superhero shows to appear on here not just once, but twice. And honestly, it's kind of surprising to see Voltron popular enough to not just place, but top the leaderboard.
But nothing defines shipping more than relentlessly arguing about your OTP, so it's time to turn it over to the comments section. Are you mad Overwatch's Pharah and Mercy (or Soldier 76 and Reaper, or literally any of the bazillion ships this game has inspired) got the short shrift in 2017? What about the unfair nature of doing this before The Last Jedi comes out, potentially robbing Finn and Poe of their shipping time to shine (that is, if they spend that much time in the movie together!). Want to scream about how Oliver and Felicity are the true love of the CW/DC shows instead?
Let us know in the comments — and be nice to each other. All ships are created equal... well, most of them. If you're a Kylo Ren/Rey fan I cannot defend your lack of taste.