Telstra And Netgear's New 4G Modem Downloads At 1000Mbps

Telstra is the world's first mobile network to crack the 1000Mbps download speed barrier over 4G, and it's using this little gadget from Netgear to get there.

Netgear's Nighthawk M1 router — the company's first to use the same name as its high-end Wi-Fi products — uses Qualcomm's Snapdragon X16 LTE chipset, and achieves download speeds of up to 1000Mbps through 4-band carrier aggregation, using four of Telstra's five separate 700MHz, 900MHz 1800MHz, 2100MHz and 2600MHz frequency holdings and 4x4 MIMO antennas for multiple upload and download streams simultaneously.

Telstra originally promised to deliver 1000Mbps mobile downloads by the end of 2016, but narrowly missed its window with this late January launch. Australia's largest mobile network uses Ericsson 4G infrastructure and announced concrete plans for gigabit 4G in October of last year, and said it would run more internal tests before opening the network up to the public.

The Nighthawk M1 is a portable 4G router, but includes a built-in Ethernet network port as well as 802.11ac Wi-Fi for extremely fast local networking to smartphones or laptops, supporting up to 20 connected devices concurrently. It also has a regular USB port and USB Type-C connector for charging and media streaming. Netgear says the M1's battery will last for up to 24 hours of continuous use.

Telstra previously announced another fastest-ever (at the time) 4GX hotspot in the Netgear AirCard 810S, which was capable of 600Mbps downloads. In reality, on a relatively busy 4G network and competing with hundreds or thousands of other devices on each network cell, real-world download speeds were between half and one third of the theoretical maximum in testing. If the same holds true of the Nighthawk M1, expect 400-500Mbps download speeds in full Telstra network coverage areas.

In the future, the M1 will also be able to act as a base station for Netgear's wireless, battery-powered Arlo security cameras. All the Nighthawk M1's features can be controlled by smartphone using a redesigned Netgear Mobile app, which includes security and parental controls.

Telstra has always been one of the world's most technically advanced mobile telcos, pouring significant investment from its time as a government-owned entity and successive privatisation into building a nationwide 3G network which it called NextG. The telco refers to its high-speed 4G network as 4GX, and uses carrier aggregation across multiple bands to increase download and upload speeds. It also sits on the steering committee for 5G.

The Netgear Nighthawk M1 (MR1100) will be available through Telstra on a range of 4GX plans from next month, and will also be able to be purchased outright for $360. [Netgear]

WATCH MORE: Tech News

Comments

why can't i get that much on my home network? better yet why cant they offer 1tb of Downloads on the mobile

Well they wont. Telstra has a Return on Investment (ROI) module that they use to evaluate your suburb. And your suburb is not worth the money to install that kind of high end infrastructure. So enjoy you dial up speed.

It's just the regular 4G network, I have 3 towers within one Km of my house. Even if you don't, a decent antenna can reach out to over 21Km with and sustain a decent signal strength. You can buy a good antenna at Jaycar for $90.

got cable mate on the gold coast, 100down

How much up? 1Mbit...2Mbit....? AKA FSA

Small Business need a better upstream, down is fine.
          With 2Mbit it takes half an hour to upload a 90 second video to YouTube to help promote your business.

Last edited 01/02/17 4:43 pm

As the article alludes to, the maximum speed this device is capable of is purely theoretical and is almost impossible to achieve in real world usage.

To get that speed, you need to be in an area where 4 of the 5 bands of Telstra's LTE network are available, which means in heavily populated urban centres only. If you only have 3 of Telstra's bands available, your speed will be reduced by a quarter, and if there's only 2 it will be cut by half.

You also need to have very few others on that network to share bandwidth with - which will never happen in a heavily populated urban centre where everyone has mobile devices. In truth, you can expect up to 600Mbps at the dead of night in a well-serviced area. During a normal work day, you'd be lucky to see more than 400Mbps and the speeds would fluctuate wildly as the network load changes.

Telstra's largest mobile data package is 15GB/month. Even at real-world speeds, you could burn through that entire amount in a couple minutes with this modem. And at $55 per month for 15GB, a similar 1TB plan from Telstra would cost over $3500/month. Are you willing to cough up that much?

Last edited 31/01/17 10:49 am

I'd sell my left nut to break the 1Mbps mark! 600-800Kbps on a good day here!

How the heck is 400Mbps a bad thing? What internet connection do you have? Can I share it? :P

But yes, Telstra will undoubtedly be somewhat pricey. I will have to sell my Ferrari...sigh.

Sounds like you can afford two months of awesome speed and 2TB before you have to go back to dial-up :-)

400Mbps is a fine number, and an impressive achievement. But high speeds are really not relevant beyond a certain point.

I'm on NBN FttH with a 50/20 connection and that's plenty fast enough for everything I've thrown at it, including working remotely to international servers.

My sympathy on having terrible internet, I had the same problem before NBN upgrades. You're welcome to share my connection and pay half my bill, if you live within a 10km range and have line of sight to my roof :-)

I'm here to represent 260-400kbps (I'm on the tail end of a run) in the middle of the suburbs in a large australian capital city...weeeeewwww....I found this lovely state of Internet after I moved. I think it's safe to say I can downgrade my data plan from 1TB/month.

120Gb is the largest mobile data plan Telstra offers. The most popular is 50Gb.
        If you were needing that much data you would get a 4G TID into Telstra's back end with private bandwidth. You can easily get 1Tb plans, would be cheaper and comes with guaranteed speeds.
        Would still cost 2-3k per month. But some businesses don't mind.

Last edited 02/02/17 12:22 am

"Telstra originally promised to deliver 1000Mbps mobile downloads by the end of 2016".
    I hate it when companies promise things. This often results in a rushed and often crappier end product. I'd prefer anticipated or forecasted. If you overshoot your release date what's the consequence?

So how many seconds to go through your monthly data allowance?

Meanwhile, download quotas are exhausted from all of the speedtests to show off to your mates.

I'd rather they promise things. With a deadline, even if its late, they will be pushing to finish before or at least close to it. If its open ended, its pretty safe to guess it'll never happen.

Sounds great except of course their current highest download limit for mobile broadband is 15GB so if you can actually download something at 1Gbps you would eat up your monthly allowance in 2 mins 8 secs.

Actually vivid wireless do an unlimited home 4G plan for $89 dollars. Up to 10mpbs depending on where you live.

Stick a 4G antenna on your roof and your all set. :)

I don't work for vivid by the way. :)

Vivid isn't in the discussion here.
        We are talking 1000mbps not 10

Sorry but you need to stay on topic.

Actually, it is relevant as it puts the whole offering in perspective.
          Having amazing speed is pretty pointless if offered with paltry quota.

No not really. This is not about how much data it is how fast.
            You can have unlimited data but on 10MB you can't use much and you are limited with what you can do.
            So again it is off topic.

Bet it will cost $100 a month with a 5 gig download limit.

It does show the potential of 4G and hopefully, soonish, 5G networks. I think the NBN is in a bit of trouble.

Why should companies pay exorbitant overheads to the NBN to access their dodgy network, when for the same money they could invest in wireless tech they can own.

I think one or the great ironies that will emerge from the NBN will be that the money paid to telstra to purchase their copper network will pay for telstra to build an awesome 5G network, and simply regain their monopoly over telco services that the NBN was designed to challenge. Catch 22.

Last edited 31/01/17 10:33 am

You are partially correct, the NBN as it is now is a disaster due to Mr Internet stuffing it up for Abbotts ego.
      A wireless network can't hope to supply enough data if everyone was on 5g. Down the track many years yes I suspect the technology will evolve but in the end light is always going to be faster.
      But back on topic I think your $100 a month won't even come close to the premium they will charge for this and you will have to be exceedingly lucky to even get full access to it.

NBN isn't in trouble unless mobile data costs drop a huge amount, and the mobile networks massively increase their capacity.

If everyone got one of these modems tomorrow, and ditched their fixed line internet, Telstra's monthly profit would be amazing but their network would collapse in seconds. All 3 of Australia's mobile networks combined have about 3% of the capacity of the fixed line networks.

Last edited 31/01/17 1:00 pm

To build this type of wireless network based on current tech (not fictional future tech) would require a tower on every street along with the cabling and infrastructure to support them. This is in order to support the amount of bandwidth required by each home and device. So it would be as expensive, if not more.

So the question is why bother when you're guaranteed 43tb/s over a single fibre connection right now if we ran fibre & if NBN gave a shit and had the right (experimental) gear at the exchanges alternatively 10gb/s if you wanted to be practical.

Don't forget wireless has its hard limitations. There are only a limited amount of frequencies available and the technology hasn't squeezed much more speed out of them in a very long time.

Last edited 31/01/17 1:26 pm

Optus has a home eirelesd 4G but its capped at 200GB a month, where the connection speed is varied by network activity. I considered it after Telstra told me for two months my home didnt exist (too fund out sone lazy technician stole my line and redirected it to a neighbour).

The Google Fibre project in the US stopped and they are investing in the idea of high speed wireless and mesh networking to deliver future internet... but they know the biggest hurdle is the telcos and spectrum access.

US has a very very different burdens on communications providers compared to Australia. I wouldn't invest too much time drawing comparisons. Their cable network regulations are the things nightmares are made from.

And use your whole $50 download limit in 30 seconds, how practical.

The thing I like the best is the built in Ethernet port. Be awesome for clients who have internet issues and need something that can plug into existing routers.

I bet it's more of a pig to configure than a 3G dongle in the back of an existing router :-)

Sick! I can use the download limit in 5 seconds...

And the winner of the most pointless product is.........

What's the point in offering such huge speeds when they don't offer the quotas to actually use it? I mean, really, if you actually need 1,000 Mbs, instead of "just" 600 Mbs, you're going to need a lot more data quota than what you get on these plans.

Like everyone else has said, this is pointless with their current data quotas. Its like selling the worlds fastest car with 10 minutes of fuel in it and charging $10/L for any extra.

Last edited 01/02/17 8:11 am

Owning one of those the next time the Telstra network collapses... free data weekend records will be shattered

you can get a $25 data plan with 1GB included. Excess usage is capped at $500 per month
    so you could, in theory, have a 1gbps unlimited connection for $525 per month
    not too shabby

Data limits aren't random, they help limit usage on a network that is heavily affected by the number of users on said network. Data is also expensive for Australian ISPs since a lot of our traffic ultimately goes overseas, relying on incredibly expensive undersea links. It's not as simple as 'lol Telstra just making money.'

Fair enough but i think the point people are trying to make is that its pointless showing these products off when the cost of use is beyond the means of most people.

I got one, I get around 115 mbs on a moving train, be interested how I go in the cutting between Caulfield and South Yarra. I often hit black spots on the train on the old device so I'm interested in seeing if the enhanced aggregation technology improves things.
    My main interest is in browsing rather than watching movies so I'm not looking at burning 10Gb on a movie.
    It replaces an earlier 4GX device and it has a huge battery allegedly lasts 24 hrs compared to the 3.5 hrs of the older device. The old device was still capable of 30-50mbs anyway.
    Also it can charge your phone from the battery (haven't tried it) this means I don't have to carry the 7.2 Ah external battery so that is a weight saving.

Last edited 15/02/17 8:13 am