This Might Be The First Samsung Galaxy Note7 Explosion In Australia

Image: imgur

"My brand new Note7 exploded this morning while I was still asleep, it was plugged in and charging," writes Melbourne Redditor Crushader, in what appears to be Australia's first case of a Samsung Galaxy Note7 being destroyed due to a recently discovered battery defect, "[Samsung] told me this is the first case in Australia".

While Samsung isn't elaborating on the incident, which allegedly occurred in a Perth hotel room, a replacement phone has been supplied via a Samsung store and the company is covering the $1800 hotel damages bill according to Crushader.

"Phone completely fried, I can't eject the sim tray to retrieved my sim or the SD card. I was using original charger and cable if you are wondering. Charred the hotel room bed sheet and the carpet when I whacked it down to the floor, burnt one of my finger while doing that too," Crushader explains in the post.

Image: imgur
Image: imgur

Samsung recently announced a full recall of the devices, advising owners to switch off their phones and return them to where they were purchased in return for a temporary replacement phone.

Crushader echoed this in the Reddit post.

"Please do not use the phone anymore, it is dangerous and not worth the risk. I knew of the recall and lodged my application with Samsung as soon as they announced officially on Friday, and now 3 days later it has happened to me".

Image: imgur
Image: imgur

Samsung has stated it is aware of the incident, ans an investigation into "a very small number of reported incidents with the Galaxy Note7" has commenced.

WATCH MORE: Tech News

Trending Stories Right Now