Welcome to this week's Reading List, your guide to some of the most interesting science and technology stories on the internet this week. This week, we'll examine a wartime deception, cyberattacks, swatting, and changes in the world around us.
- During the Second World War, the 23rd Headquarters Special Troops had a unique mission: staffed with art students, sound engineers and Hollywood writers, their job was to use creativity to deceive Germany. [Works That Work]
- Strater appears to be your typical American family, with one different: they have been regularly targeted for harassment by someone from the internet. [Daily Dot]
- A female gamer named Janet woke up to find a SWAT Team in her living room, called by an fellow gamer who reported a fake emergency. How SWATing became a thing. [New York Times]
- New York Magazine profiles the changes in a Brooklyn Street. [NY Mag]
- When a video store closed after a quarter century, here's what one employee learned about his industry. [Vox]
Image credit: Oleg Zabielin / Shuttershock