We're about to get the 2nd generation of Moto X smartphones, and Motorola have told us it'll drop in just a couple of days. Starting Monday December 15, you'll be able to pick up the improved model with 16GB in two different styles.
There's no mention of models with higher memory, but for the 16GB model, the sleek, sustainable wood finish will set you back $789, whereas the black resin finish comes in a little cheaper at $749.
The Moto X has a few nifty features focused on intuitiveness, such as automatically switching modes when you're driving or in a meeting. Hand gestures can be used as commands, as well as your voice, and twisting the phone can start the (now 13MP in 4:3) camera. Touching anywhere will take the shot, for those who care about their selfie game. Notably, its slightly larger display is now full HD, instead of the previous 720p.
For more details on the Moto X, check out our review from when it launched in the US in September.
Motorola focuses on mobile experiences that complement Android, not compete with it. The new Moto X simplifies your everyday life by interacting with you in natural ways. It’s smart, so it learns from you. It’s responsive, so it adapts to you.
• Moto Voice - Do more than ever with just your voice, without ever touching the phone. Use your voice to interact with some of your favourite apps like Facebook, YouTube, and WhatsApp. Even personalise the experience with your very own customised voice prompt like “You there Moto X?”or “Wake up buddy!”
• Moto Assist - Life can be hectic and Moto X can adapt its behaviour in certain situations so that you can do more or never be interrupted.
• Moto Display - You don’t have to wake Moto X up to look at the time or sneak a peek at your latest messages. When your display is off, up to three notifications pulse quietly on the screen without interrupting you.
• Moto Actions - Go beyond just tapping and swiping your screen. Use simple gestures to conveniently interact with your Moto X. It knows when your hand is approaching and activates.
• Moto Display - Wave your hand to silence incoming calls or snooze alarms.
Specifications for the new Moto X
You can also get a full list of specs at the bottom of this page.
• Android 4.4.4 (KitKat) • 2.5GHz Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 801 with quad-core CPU (MSM 8974-AC), Adreno 330 @ 578 MHz GPU, Natural Language Processor, Contextual Computing Processor • 2GB RAM / 16GB storage • Dimensions for Soft Feel model: Width: 72.4mm x Height: 140.8mm x Curve: 3.8-9.9mm • Weight: 144 grams • 5.2-inch AMOLED screen, 1080p Full HD, 423 ppi, Corning Gorilla Glass 3 • Battery 2300 mAh • Mixed usage up to 24 hours* • Water Repellency • Networks: GSM/GPRS/EDGE, UMTS/HSPA+ (up to 42.2 Mbps downlink / 5.76 Mbps uplink), 4G LTE • Front Camera is 2MP + 1080p HD Video • Rear Camera is 13MP (4:3) and 10MP (16.9) - f2.25 - Quick Capture - Tap anywhere to capture - Ring flash with dual LEDs - 4K UHD video capture - 1080p HD video (30 fps) - 4X digital zoom - Slow motion video - Burst mode - Auto HDR - Panorama - Tap to focus