There’s something deeply satisfying about building your own gadgets. So, when it comes to your next phone, forget Project Ara; how about building your own using a Raspberry Pi?
We’ve already seen a Pi-powered tablet, but a phone is truly the next level of crazed determination. Put together using $US158 of components, this phone may be fairly dumb, but think of the deep satisfaction you’ll feel when using it. To make it, you’ll need:
- Raspberry Pi Model B — $US40
- PiTFT Touchscreen 320×240 — $US35
- 2500mAh LiPo battery — $US15
- SIM900 GSM/GPRS module — $US48
- DC-DC boost converter 3.3V — 5V 1A — $US10
- Cables, connectors, switch, etc. – $US10