Just like pretty much every other smartphone maker that isn't Apple, Nokia is sizing up. Today it took the lid off two new, six-inch display Lumias -- the 1320 and the 1520.
You might have seen these larger Lumias coming; last week Microsoft updated Windows Phone to support 1080p for 5- and 6-inch screens just in time for today's announcement. The 4G LTE Lumia 1520 is the one you care about; it boasts a PureView 20MP Zeiss lens with 2x lossless zoom and dual-LED flash. Additionally, the phone will shoot 1080p video at 30fps, with image stabilisation built in. And its lovely combination of a 3,400 mAh battery and Qualcomm's quad-core 2.2GHz Snapdragon 800 chip means it should be a fast phone that doesn't sacrifice any battery endurance.
The Lumia 1520 comes in yellow, white, black, and glossy red, and will be available by the end of the year for a hefty $US750 off-contract. The Lumia 1320 has most of the same features as its fancier friend, but it downgrades to a 720p screen. It also comes in orange, yellow, black, and white, and won't be available until the beginning of 2014 -- and only in select Asian markets so far -- for the more wallet-friendly $US340.
Nokia Lumia 1520 and Lumia 1320:
· 6-inch full HD display (720p on Lumia 1320; 1080p on Lumia 1520)
· Latest software advancements for Windows Phone, additional new third column of home screen tiles
· Lumia 1520 features 20MP PureView camera with optical image stabilisation (OIS) enabling sharp images even in the dark as well as oversampling and zooming technology similar to the Lumia 1020.
· Lumia 1520 includes Nokia Camera and Nokia Storyteller applications + Nokia voice recording app + Microsoft Office built in.
· The Nokia Lumia 1520 will be available in yellow, white, black and glossy red. It is expected to start shipping in Q4 2013, with an estimated price of USD749 before taxes and subsidies in Hong Kong, Singapore, U.S., China, U.K., France, Germany, Finland and other European markets, with other markets to follow
———- · Lumia 1320 features many high-end Lumia innovations and extends the Nokia Camera app to another price range.
· With a choice of imaging apps available, the Lumia 1320 comes with Nokia Music for free streaming of ad-free music and HERE maps and location services, so people can experience the most popular Lumia experiences at a more accessible price
· The Nokia Lumia 1320 will be available in orange, yellow, white, and black and is expected to start shipping in Q1 2014 with an estimated price of USD339 before taxes and subsidies in China and Vietnam, followed by other Asian markets, India and Europe
· Australia: It’s too early to share details on availability and pricing for Australia but as soon as we have an update, we’ll let you know