It’s that time of the year again! When next iPhones and next iPads magically manifest themselves through supply chain leaks and third party dealers. This time, the leak shows what could be the display for the next iPad. If real, it shows that the next full-sized iPad will have a super thin bezel just like the iPad Mini.
This new thin bezel display would definitely jibe with the leaked back prototype casing that we saw earlier this year. That image also showed how the full sized iPad would use design cues from the iPad Mini — thinner all around but dramatically more narrow in the side bezel.
The images come from Macfixit Australia whose supplier says that this is indeed the next screen and digitizer for the next iPad:
– The display area is the same as the iPad Retina.
– The edges of the frame are narrower using the same style as the iPad mini.
– The ITO (Indium tin oxide) is the same as the iPad mini.
– There is now 2 connectors instead of 1.
– The connectors have been changed from FFC (Flat Flexible Cable, like the iPad 2/3/4) to FPC (Flexible Printed Circuits, like the iPhone 4/5).
MacRumors also notes that the part number for the front panel “821-1892-02” also matches Apple’s format for iOS components. Here are a few more pictures of the display panel: