We’re back for the new year! Welcome to Shooting Challenge for 2013, where Gizmodo readers test their photographic skills for the admiration of their editors the chance to win a shiny new Canon PowerShot G15 camera. Entries close Tuesday morning….
Woman walking image courtesy of Shutterstock
That’s right, it’s new prize time. We’ve got the fantastic new Canon PowerShot G15 camera to giveaway!
The Canon Powershot G15 has finally arrived, and brings with it a level of sophistication we love in the fixed lens compact space. It sports a 12.1-megapixel CMOS sensor, a powerful DIGIC 5 processor, 5x optical zoom and an amazing lens which rocks an f/1.8-2.8 aperture. It’s sleek, stylish and beautifully retro with the ridged lens hood, pop-up flash and nested dials, and it’s a winner when it comes to user friendliness.
The Canon Powershot G15 is valued at $599.95, and we’re thrilled to be giving this one away to the Gizmodo Shooting Challenge faithful for our last challenge of the year.
We’ll be running this challenge over two weeks. The finalists from each week will go head to head in the final and the winner will be selected by Gizmodo editors for the grand prize!
This Week’s Challenge: Summer
We’re trapped in a heatwave, Australia! Break out your camera and go capture the most summery image you can before it’s gone!
Beaches, soaring temperatures, hot concrete, ice creams, pool parties, barbecues and an afternoon at the pub: we want you to capture the perfect image for the Australian summer
We don’t want stuff that’s been too heavily photoshopped, and you must include all that EXIF data with your entry in order to be eligible.
You’ll have until Tuesday to enter, that’s when voting will begin. Voting will close Friday of the same week and the winner will be announced on Sunday.
How Judging Works
- Once again, for three weeks, Gizmodo readers will vote one weekly Shooting Challenge finalist through to the prize round to be judged and announced by Gizmodo editors on Friday, January 25.
- This week’s entries close at 10am on Tuesday, January 22.
- ‘Summer’ voting will begin at 11.30am on Tuesday, January 22, and close at 10am on Friday, January 25.
- We have altered the terms and conditions [PDF] for the Shooting Challenge. Linking friends from your social networks to the Gizmodo voting page is encouraged, however, use of “vote farming” sites including (but not limited to) GetOnlineVotes or linking directly to polldaddy.com will now result in instant disqualification. The goal is to grow the Giz Shooting Community in the fairest way possible. Also a reminder to please be respectful and constructive if leaving a comment about a photo.
- The work must be your own.
- You must be respectful and constructive if leaving a comment
- Photos need to be taken the week of the contest (January 17-22). No portfolio shots please.
- EXIF info must be visible to us — check for it before you submit!
- Explain (briefly) the photography equipment, settings, technique and story behind the shot.
- Include your shooting summary (camera, lens, ISO, etc) in the body of the email along with a story of the shot in a few sentences.
- Entries must be submitted via the entry form below.
- Don’t forget to name your image attachment properly!
- Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameSummer.jpg naming convention.
- Please ensure your image is at least 800px wide and no larger than 3MB.
- One submission per person.
- Don’t skip the story part because it’s often the most enjoyable part for us all beyond the great photos!
Submit Your Entry
Need Inspiration? Check out the previous Gizmodo Shooting Challenges.
This form has been tested and we’ve been receiving great entries — but if you’re having issues submitting, please contact Danny Allen.
Oops! We could not locate your form.