Welcome to Shooting Challenge, where Gizmodo readers test their photographic skills for the admiration of their editors, and for chance to win a brand-spanking new New Look PlayStation 3 console every week! Entries close Tuesday morning....
The New Look PlayStation 3 is everything you love about Sony's iconic home gaming flagship in a new, slimmer body. The smaller footprint is thanks to the complete redesign of the internal components to make it a better organised and better looking piece of tech. Not only is it slimmer, but it's also sporting a bigger hard drive, giving you more for less. It's still got the same great Blu-ray capabilities from the last PlayStation 3 and it still supports some of the best games on the market right now.
The new PlayStation 3 is an awesome prize worth $399.95 RRP and we're excited to give two of them away to Gizmodo's Shooting Challenge faithful.
There will be four rounds over four weeks -- one each week. The community will vote each week on the submissions for one finalist. The four finalists will go head-to-head in the final round, and the two winners will be chosen by Gizmodo's editors. That's right: we have two consoles to give away!
Last Week's Most Voted Photo -- Finalist 2 of 4
Last week's photos lit up the site, but there can only be one finalist. This week's most voted title goes to Shawn Hu for his amazing starscape!
Nice one, Shawn!
This Week's Challenge: Circles
The natural world is full of shapes that baffle the mind. One of those is the circle. Trees have circles, bubbles are circles, clouds can be circle-shaped. We take these shapes and we transpose them into the man-made world, too. Circles are in speaker grilles and the donuts your car leaves on the ground. This week we want to see your best circles!
We don't want stuff that's been too heavily photoshopped or too staged, and you must include all that EXIF data with your entry in order to be eligible.
How Judging Works
- Each week, Gizmodo readers will vote on the best Shooting Challenge image for that round, and whoever holds the popular vote at the end of the round will walk away with a New Look Sony Playstation 3, valued at $399.95.
- This week's entries close at 10am on Tuesday, October 16.
- 'Circle Shots' voting will begin at 11.30am on Tuesday, October 16, and close at 10am on Tuesday, October 23.
- We have altered the terms and conditions [PDF] for the Shooting Challenge. Linking friends from your social networks to the Gizmodo voting page is encouraged, however, use of "vote farming" sites including (but not limited to) GetOnlineVotes or linking directly to polldaddy.com will now result in instant disqualification. The goal is to grow the Giz Shooting Community in the fairest way possible. Also a reminder to please be respectful and constructive if leaving a comment about a photo.
- The work must be your own.
- You must berespectful and constructive if leaving a comment
- Photos need to be taken the week of the contest (October 12-October 16). No portfolio shots please.
- EXIF info must be visible to us -- check for it before you submit!
- Explain (briefly) the photography equipment, settings, technique and story behind the shot.
- Include your shooting summary (camera, lens, ISO, etc) in the body of the email along with a story of the shot in a few sentences.
- Entries must be submitted via the entry form below.
- Don’t forget to name your image attachment properly!
- Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameCircle.jpg naming convention.
- Please ensure your image is at least 800px wide and no larger than 3MB.
- One submission per person.
- Don’t skip the story part because it’s often the most enjoyable part for us all beyond the great photos!
Submit Your Entry
Need Inspiration? Check out the previous Gizmodo Shooting Challenges.
This form has been tested and we've been receiving great entries -- but if you're having issues submitting, please contact Danny Allen.
Image: Esparta Palma