Welcome to Shooting Challenge, where Gizmodo readers test their photographic skills for the admiration of their editors and for the chance to win a shiny new Olympus OM-D DSLR camera! Be quick, entries close Tuesday morning!
Sorry that we’re a little late with this week’s challenge, guys. But, as you can see, the wait was worth it!
Image: Horia Varlan/Flickr
The Olympus OM-D EM-5 is designed to make the jump into DSLR easy. With Live View functionality that lets you see exactly what a shot will look like before you take it, coupled with a 5-axis in-body image stabiliser for shooting in low light, and a retro design inspired by the first OM-D from 1972, the EM-5 lets you capture some beautiful shots. More at Olympus.
We’re excited to be able to give this camera away to Gizmodo’s Shooting Challenge faithful.
The kit you’re playing for is valued at $1499, and includes the OM-D EM-5 body and 12-50mm lens, both of which are weatherproof so you can feel confident when Mother Nature turns on you.
This Week’s Challenge: Macro
It’s the first week of the Shooting Challenge for the Olympus camera, and one thing this camera excels at is macro shots, which means macro is this week’s theme. There’s a secret world that exists beyond what the eye can see, and only macro photography can reveal it. What can your camera show us that the naked eye can’t?
Most cameras, including a lot of point-and-shoot cameras and even smartphone cameras, come with macro modes, so everyone can get involved. Just make sure your photo is shot this week and isn’t something you’ve fished out from your older body of work.
How Judging Works
- For four weeks, Gizmodo readers will vote one weekly Shooting Challenge finalist through to the prize round to be judged and announced by Gizmodo editors on Friday, July 25.
- This week’s entries close at 10am on Tuesday, June 26.
- Voting will begin at 11.30am on Tuesday, June 26, and close at 10am on Tuesday, July 3.
- Full terms and conditions.
- The work must be your own.
- Photos need to be taken the week of the contest (June 22-June 26). No portfolio shots please. EXIF info must be attached.
- Explain (briefly) the photography equipment, settings, technique and story behind the shot.
- Include your shooting summary (camera, lens, ISO, etc) in the body of the email along with a story of the shot in a few sentences.
- Entries must be submitted via the entry form below.
- Don’t forget to name your image attachment properly!
- Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameMacro.jpg naming convention.
- Please ensure your image is at least 800px wide and no larger than 3MB.
- One submission per person.
- Don’t skip the story part because it’s often the most enjoyable part for us all beyond the great photos!
Submit Your Entry
Need Inspiration? Check out the previous Gizmodo Shooting Challenges.
This form has been tested and we’ve been receiving great entries — but if you’re having issues submitting, please contact Danny Allen.
Oops! We could not locate your form.