A young researcher from San Francisco has died after being infected by a highly virulent strain of meningococcal disease he was studying — and there are fears that it could spread.
The US centres for Disease Control and Prevention has announced that it suspects Richard Din, 25, became fatally infected with an agent from his own laboratory. A biopsy sample from Din is now being tested to confirm the news, reports the Guardian.
Ironically, Din’s research was focussed on developing a vaccine to protect against the incredibly dangerous bacterium called Neisseria meningitidis — a strain of bacteria that causes meningococcal disease, and leads to meningitis and bloodstream infections.
Now, dozens of people — including relatives, friends and co-workers — are being provided with antibiotics as a precaution. Din died less than a day after falling ill, so it should become obvious extremely quickly if the bacteria have spread. [The Guardian]
Image: Alexander Raths/Shutterstock