The mysterious iPhone 5 prototype at the centre of that bizarre is-it-or-isn’t-it police case in San Francisco took another twist this weekend. Mainly, the police are asked for bar security footage even though they admit no crime took place there.
CNET, the news organisation that originally reported a second iPhone prototype had been lost by an Apple employee in a bar, reports today that:
Jose Valle, whose family owns Cava 22, a popular bar-restaurant in the city’s Mission District, told CNET Friday that officers from the San Francisco Police Department visited the bar about a week ago and left a message that they wanted to see his surveillance video from July 21 and 22 as part of their lost iPhone case. Valle said he has the video and has since tried to connect with investigators but that they have yet to follow up.
A police lieutenant named Troy Dangerfield contacted by CNET said he was unaware that investigators from the SFPD had even gone to the bar to ask for the footage, which officially set the head-scratching level for this case at “down to the bone”.
“In order for there to be a crime, you need a victim,” Dangerfield told CNET, before offering up the investigators might have been there as part of an internal review related the department.
Photos, video or even hints about the missing prototype’s whereabouts remain non-existent. [CNET]