When viewers say goodbye to Oprah today, they will also be saying goodbye to a dream: Getting a ticket to be in the studio audience for her annual giveaway bonanza of her Favourite Things. Here, we catalogue and itemise the $US23,809,050 worth of products she's given away since 2002.
Although Oprah has done many other audience giveaways - all-expense-paid trips to Australia, Disney and Philadelphia, cars, strollers, etc - we're focusing here on her annual holiday instalments of Favourite Things. We've priced the items (approximately, anyhow) and multiplied them by 300, which is the amount of people in her typical studio audience.
2002 — $US730,500
List of items: * Key lime pie ($11) * Croissants ($4) * Fat Witch Baby Gift Tin ($4) * Good Karmal Mini Crates ($25) * Holiday tin of Garrett's Popcorn ($21) * Mariebelle Hot Chocolate Powder ($15) * Cranberry Creations by Nantucket Clipper ($36) * Piper-Heidsieck Champagne ($40) * Pillsbury Homebaked Classics ($3) * BlissLabs Glamour Gloves and Glamour Gel ($66) * Origins Perfect World White Tea Body Cream ($30) * Kiehl's Limited Edition Gift Box ($265) * DreamTime Foot Cozys ($55) * J.Lo Velour Sweatsuit ($100) * Karen Neuburger Pajamas and Socks ($13) * Silver Ox Cuff Watch ($40) * Tube Readers and Case ($15,000) * Fashion Active Labs Perfect Tee ($50) * Everyday Grace by Marianne Williamson ($20) * Johnny Mathis' "The Christmas Album" ($20) * The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle ($20) * Together Book and CD Collection ($150) * Jay Strongwater Picture Frames ($115) * O magazine subscription ($18) * Four-in-One Camera ($450) * Samsung mobile phone/camera ($400) * Talking Photo Album ($40) * Wafer-Thin CD System ($300)
2003 — $US1,527,750
List of items: * Frontgate's Portable DVD Player ($400) * Ralph Lauren Black Label Cashmere Slim Fit Crewneck Sweater ($400) * Melted Chocolate Cake Batter ($40) * Greenberg Smoked Turkeys ($30) * Barefoot Dreams Robes and adult throws ($260) * Cliff and Buster Macaroons ($15) * Gingerbread Man by Philosophy ($25) * Pure Simplicity Pumpkin Purifying Mask ($16) * Davies Gates Allspice Cinnamon Powder Sugar Soak ($21) * O magazine subscription ($18) * MAC Cosmetic Carrying Case ($125) * Nike Dri-FIT Workout Outfit ($130) * FoodSaver Vac 800 by Tilia, Inc. ($130) * Cambio Jeans ($150) * BlackBerry Wireless E-mail Device ($400) * Frederic Fekkai Crème Luxeuse, Apple Cider Clean shampoo and conditioner ($50) * UGG Classic Short Boots ($110) * Judith Ripka Two Necklace ($400) * Philip Stein Teslar Watch ($600) * Sony DCR-DVD200 Handycam ($1,000) * The Neiman Marcus Cookbook ($45)
2004 — $US4,299,600
* Quilted Jacket and Cashmere Scarf by Burberry ($560) * Dell 30" Wide-Screen LCD TV ($2299) * Bourjois Lip Products ($50) * Eileen Fisher Waffle-Weave Merino Stretch Zip Cardigan and Pant ($400) * Maytag Neptune Top-Load Washer and Drying centre ($2,198) * Lollia Lifestyle Collection ($50) * Hand-Blown Crystal Champagne Glasses by Deborah Ehrlich ($100) * Dooney & Bourke Leather Duffle Bag ($500) * Miraval Resort and Spa – Life in Balance ($850) * Airfare to Tuscon ($425) * Apple Bottom Jeans by Nelly ($60) * Museum Automatic Arte Watch by Movado ($1,000) * Gourmet Florida Key Lime Cake ($25) * Vietri Garden Tea Service ($316) * SpecialTeas Fine Tea Gift Certificate ($100) * Williams-Sonoma Home Bedding ($1100) * The Magellan RoadMate ($1499) * Dell Pocket DJ ($200) * OfficeMax Gift Certificate ($500) * Sony VAIO S260 Notebook computer ($2000) * BeBe Winans' "A Christmas Prayer CD" & Starbucks Gift Card ($100)
2005 — $US2,211,600
* Philip Stein Teslar Diamond Watch ($2400) * Burberry Coat ($700) * Burberry Purse ($700) * UGG Australia's Uptown Boot ($150) * Garrett Popcorn Shops' CaramelCrisp and CheeseCorn Tin ($117) * The Apple iPod ($300) * "The Oprah Sweater" by Ralph Lauren ($500) * Pure colour Cords ($170) * Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker ($60) * BlackBerry 7105T from T-Mobile ($300) * Brownies from Moveable Feast Geneva ($25) * Kashwere Shawl Collar Robe ($150) * Williams-Sonoma croissants ($40) * Philosophy's Hope in a Jar ($60) * Philosophy's "Grace" Basket ($115) * Oatmeal Cookie Dough from Fox & Obel Market ($50) * Oprah Winfrey Show 20th Anniversary Collection DVD ($35) * Sony VAIO FJ Notebook ($1500)
2006 — $US390,000
In response to criticism that favourite things had become such a display of consumerism and greed, in 2006, Oprah gave each audience member a $US1000 credit card and a camcorder and instructions to use the money to do something kind for someone else while using the camcorder to videotape the good deed.
* $US1000 credit card * Sony Camcorder ($300)00x3
2007 — $US2,364,000
* Samsung HD Camcorder (SC-HMX10C) ($700) * UGG Australia Classic Crochet Boots ($120) * ToyWatch Crystal Watches ($825) * Perfect Endings Cupcakes by Williams-Sonoma ($60) * Williams-Sonoma Melamine Bowls ($50) * KitchenAid Artisan Mixer ($350) * Planet Earth DVD box set ($60) * Kai Body Butter & Buffer ($85) * Clarisonic Skin Cleansing System ($200) * Claus Porto Soaps from Lafco New York ($40) * The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett ($25) * Williams-Sonoma Breville Ikon Panini Press ($100) * Ciao Bella Sorbetto ($5) * Rachel Pally Swing Turtleneck and Sailor Pants ($350 * Scrabble Premier Edition from Hasbro ($70) * United Artists 90th Anniversary Prestige DVD Collection ($900) * Shaklee Get Clean ($90) * O's Guide to Life ($30) * Josh Groban's "Noël" CD ($20) * LG HDTV Refrigerator ($3800)
2008 — $US210,600
The recession year was used for "Thrifty favourite Things". * The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski ($20) * Yummy Tummies Tank ($62) * H&M swimsuit ($15) * Old Navy Suit ($25) * Norma Kamali Suit ($350) * Fit Flops ($50) * Rolling Duffel ($180)
2009 — $0
NO FAVOURITE THINGS! For the first time since 2002, Oprah scrapped the annual giveaway. No reason was given, but it was no doubt related to the recession.
2010 — $US12,075,000
* A Course in Weight Loss: 21 Spiritual Lessons for Surrendering Your Weight Forever by Marianne Williams ($25) * Hair care products from Andre Walker, Oprah's hairstylist ($65) * Baker's Edge lasagna and brownie trays with Ghiradelli brownie mix ($90) * Beecher's "World's Best" macaroni and cheese ($30) * Williams-Sonoma Breville panini press ($100) * Decoded by Jay-Z ($35) * Elfa Customizable Closet System ($1000) * A five-year membership to Netflix ($600) * Judith Ripka Eclipse Earrings ($525) * $US100 gift card for Kiva ($100) * Kyocera Advanced Ceramic knife 2 piece knife giftset ($75) * Lafco House and Home Collection Candle Set ($55) * Limited edition "25th Anniversary" Oprah watch by Philip Stein ($2,500) * Ralph Lauren Cashmere Sweater & Cashmere Blanket ($1,100) * Lululemon relaxed fit pants ($100) * Four pairs of Nike running shoes ($340) * Nikon D3100 digital camera ($700) * 7-day cruise on the Allure of the Seas from Royal Caribbean International ($700) * Round-trip airfare for the cruise ($400) * A "25th Anniversary" Oprah shirt ($38) * Sony Bravia 52-inch 3D television and blu-ray player ($3,600) * The Black-Eyed Peas' "The Beginning" ($20) * Tory Burch "Silver Anniversary" tote bag and flat shoes ($450) * iPad with Scrabble app ($500) * UGG Australia sparkle boots ($175) * A Coach satchel ($400) * Magaschoni tunic and leggings ($558) * Philosophy Hope in a Jar ($60) * Nordstrom lingerie and $US500 Nordstrom gift card ($500) * Prepara Herb Saver ($30) * Chicken pot pie from Centerville Pie Company ($20) * Garrett Popcorn Shops "Oprah's favourite Things" tin ($135) * Le Creuset cookware ($600) * Miraclesuit blue jeans ($110) * A jewelry box from Pottery Barn ($179) * Jessica Leigh Diamond earrings from Dana Rebecca Designs ($2000) * A gift card for DonorsChoose.org ($100) * Mini croissants from Williams-Sonoma ($40) * Talbott Teas holiday assortment ($150) * The Book of Awakening by Mark Nepo ($20) * Josh Groban's "Illuminations" ($13) * Johnny Mathis' "Let It Be Me" ($12) * A 2012 Volkswagen Beetle, due for delivery May 2011 ($22,000)
Other Big Giveaways
* Flies 131 audience members to Philly * 217 audience members go to Disneyland * Audience gets Pontiac G6 (274 people) * 640 pregnant women got strollers, baby Uggs, and digital cameras * Flies whole audience to Australia (302 people)
Ramona Emerson contributed to the research of this post.
Republished from Jezebel