Pine away all you want for the X100, but at that price, and with delays caused by the Japanese disaster of last month, it's not entering your pocket anytime soon. The Fujifilm Z900 EXR is several steps down the ladder back towards the compact camera level, but still manages to fit in a 16MP sensor and 5x wide-angle optical zoom lens.
On the reverse, the 3.5-inch LCD is actually touchscreen for fingering your way through all the various shooting options. Flick it onto the video-recording mode, and take advantage of the 1080p resolution capture.
It's 18.2mm thick and weighs 135g excluding the battery and memory card. On sale in May, it'll cost $US280 in the US and £219 in the UK - a very decent price for Full HD video recording, I'm sure you'll agree. [Fujifilm]
FUJIFILM North America Corporation today announced the FinePix Z900 EXR digital camera, the latest addition to the fashion-forward line of Z-series compact cameras. The FinePix Z900 EXR delivers a powerful new 16-MegaPixel EXR CMOS sensor, a FUJINON 5x wide angle refractive optical zoom lens (28-140mm equivalent) and a large widescreen (16:9) 3.5" High Resolution Touch screen LCD with an easy-to-use Multi Touch user interface.
The FinePix Z900 EXR also offers a series of impressive features that include a new EXR Auto mode that recognises 27 scenes, one-touch access to full 1080p HD movie capture, an intuitive Dual Direction GUI with beautiful vector font that allows for smooth and easy navigation with an improved Flash animation user interface with "tap and shoot" capabilities and fast image tagging with automatic upload functions to YouTube and Facebook.
"The new FinePix Z900 EXR blends our most fashion-forward design with a powerful 16-MegaPixel EXR CMOS sensor to give users a technology-packed camera for a night out on the town with friends when they want to capture the fun at every stop," said David Troy, director of marketing, Digital Cameras, Electronics Imaging Division, FUJIFILM North America Corporation. "When design and function matter the most, the Z900 EXR is the hands-down choice for people who want fast multi touch operation, quick access to full HD video and speedy shooting modes that never miss a shot."
EXR Sensor with CMOS Technology
With advanced image quality, improved low light sensitivity and faster performance, the EXR CMOS sensor technology brings new advanced imaging features to the FinePix Z900 EXR digital camera, including:
• High-speed Continuous Shooting - Ultra-burst shooting powered by the fast CMOS sensor shoots the action at 12fps and high speed movies at 320fps at full resolution.
• Multi Frame Technology - Combined with the accelerated performance of the CMOS, this feature synthesizes consecutive burst shots into a single composite image, blending the sensitivities to "smooth" the noise signature.
• High Sensitivity, Low Noise – CMOS turns the sensor upside down to let light directly strike the silicon for higher sensitivity, more uniform response and lower pixel cross talk. Combined with EXR technology, that means superior photos in low light with even lower noise.
Prized for bringing a new level of advanced image quality to the consumer compact market, Fujifilm's EXR technology has the unique ability to switch its behaviour depending on the shooting conditions by automatically switching sensor modes. The Z900 EXR can be left on EXR Auto Mode and the cameras will do all the work for you, or you can manually select one of three EXR Priority modes: High Resolution (HR); Dynamic Range (DR), which takes two pictures and combines them to provide a range of up to 1600%; or High ISO, Low Noise, which is perfect for capturing stunning pictures in low light situations.
The FinePix Z900 EXR features a slim metal chassis and a chic horizontal sliding lens barrier. At only 18.2mm* thin, the FinePix Z900 EXR is ultra-portable and can easily be slipped into a handbag or jeans pocket. It is available in a choice of three stylish colors: matte black, red or blue.
HD Movie Capability
With full 1080p HD movie capture, the FinePix Z900 EXR captures vivid images that can be played back in beautiful detail on your HDTV. In addition, the FinePix Z900 EXR's one-touch movie button makes it simple to create your own movie clips, with sequential capture, letting you start and stop in a single movie clip. Full 1080p HD movies in low light are especially brilliant thanks to Pixel Fusion Movie Technology that makes pixels more sensitive to dim light situations. Movie files (.MOV) are captured in full 1080p HD in stereo at 30fps with H.264 high profile compression for smaller file sizes without sacrificing quality. With a mini-HDMI output connector, it is easy to connect and view images on your HDTV (HDMI cable not included).
Easy Web Uploads
Sharing photos online has become an everyday activity for many people, so Fujifilm includes the Facebook/YouTube Automatic Upload feature that makes for quicker and easier modes of posting photos/videos on social networking sites. This feature allows users to identify and tag a photo for Facebook or YouTube upload. Once the camera is connected to a PC and MyFinePix Studio software is launched, all marked photos or movies will upload directly to Facebook or YouTube at the press of a button.
Additional Advanced Features
The FinePix Z900 EXR also has the following noteworthy features:
• Tap and Shoot: Provides the ability for one touch focus and shooting for easy photo taking. After the user taps the focal point of choice for the shooting scene on the LCD display, the camera automatically sets the appropriate focus and functions, and then releases the shutter for optimal one touch picture taking.
• EXR Auto mode featuring 27 scenes: This mode intelligently detects the scene-type and shooting conditions and optimizes the camera settings accordingly.
• Intelligent Image Stabilization
The new mechanically stabilized sensor is able to overcome handshake and can compensate for both sharp and wide hand movements, therefore increasing ISO to freeze action is no longer so necessary, meaning sharp low-light pictures can be achieved at ISO 400, rather than ISO 800 or 1600 at night scenery. The FinePix Z900 EXR also works to reduce blur to a minimum by deploying high ISO sensitivity to automatically increase shutter speeds, and CMOS shift type to counteract the problems of handshake. By cleverly combining these two, blur is reduced to an absolute minimum.
• Face Recognition: Fujifilm's Face Recognition Technology gives you the ability to pre-program 8 people into the camera. You also have the option of inputting the category to which they belong (e.g. friends/family) and the date of his/her birthday. The next time you take a photo of the same person, the camera will cleverly recognise that person and optimise the settings to ensure that exposure and focus are best suited to the individual, rather than the other people in the picture. This fun technology can recognise up to 4 pre-programmed people on screen at the same time.
• Face Detection and Automatic Red-eye Removal: To provide perfectly exposed and focused portrait shots, the FinePix Z900 EXR is fitted with Fujifilm's latest Face Detection technology which is able to track up to 10 faces simultaneously, at almost any angle to the camera. The system instantly corrects red-eye and then saves both the original and the corrected image file automatically.
• i-Flash Intelligent Flash: Offers a flash control system which efficiently controls the level of flash for a given exposure to produce beautifully balanced flash illumination across the foreground and background. Gone are the ugly washout shots where the subject is blasted with light and the background dark and unexposed.
• Motion Panorama 360° Mode: The FinePix Z900 EXR sensor extends the sweep range to 360˚ (shots can also be taken vertically). Combined with high quality Fujifilm printing, sweeping and impressive scenes can be taken, showing fine detail, low noise and high resolution at 180°, 240˚ or full 360˚ panoramic ranges.
• Playback Capabilities: Offers a variety of playback features for easy and immediate sharing such as the widescreen LCD in full HD, slide show, sort, edit and search features, plus Dual Image Display that splits the screen in various ways to view multiple images at once.
• Photo Book Assist: Photo Book Assist lets you select and organize images in your camera to create a digital photo book. You can download the photo books to your computer using MyFinePix Studio software that is included.
The FinePix Z900 EXR will be available in May 2011 at a retail price of $US279.95.