RIM’s introducing BlackBerry Protect, a new feature that lets BlackBerry users wirelessly backup, restore and locate their lost BlackBerrys for free. Basically your already very secure BlackBerry will be even safer. And you didn’t have to pay a penny.
BlackBerry Protect allows you the ability to wirelessly backup, restore and locate your BlackBerry® smartphone. In the event that your BlackBerry smartphone is misplaced, lost or stolen, BlackBerry Protect provides features like: remote device wipe, remote device lock, ‘Lost and Found’ screen, locate device on a map, remote activation of the BlackBerry smartphone loud ringer, and wireless device backup and restore.
Remote Device Management:
• Protect important information on a lost BlackBerry smartphone by remotely wiping or locking the device from your desktop
• Remotely add contact information to the home screen of a locked BlackBerry smartphone so it can be returned if found
• See your BlackBerry smartphone’s location and pinpoint the current whereabouts of a lost or stolen devicewith cell tower and GPS device tracking
• Find a nearby misplaced BlackBerry smartphone by remotely activating a loud ringer
Over the Air (OTA) Backup and Restore:
• Back up data from your BlackBerry smartphone (including Contacts and Calendar; Memos and Tasks; Browser Bookmarks and Text Messages) over Wi-Fi
• Restore your data to a new BlackBerry smartphone, or simply switch from one BlackBerry smartphone to another
It’s launching in limited beta next week. If I was a Blackberry user, I’d be bragging to my foolish friends who overpay for MobileMe to find their iPhone. [BlackBerry]