The new Xbox 360 is the most technologically advanced yet thanks to the CPU and GPU sharing one chip on the 45nm scale. It’s quieter, cooler and less power hungry – sucking half the power of the original.
AnandTech put the new 360 through its technical paces. Their findings:
• It’s “noticeably quieter”, spinning discs at 51 dB(A) rather than 54 dB(A) of last gen
• Idling, it’s 6dB(A) lower than that – indeed, about the volume of a whisper just as Microsoft claimed
• Power consumption dropped more than 50 per cent from the original Xbox (idling, and about that much during gameplay)
• Compared to the most recent model, power consumption dropped roughly 20 per cent
• Vampire power is down to one quarter that of all other 360s, .6W
• You’ll still need a T8 torx to disassemble one
EXTREMELY GEEKY DISCLAIMER: AnandTech speculates that Microsoft may be using 40nm manufacturing. Microsoft confirmed with us that it’s 45nm.