As expected, Adobe’s Creative Suite 5 has officially become available. Including Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Flash Catalyst and 11 more products, it’s pricey – but reaming with the goods needed for any designer serious about their work.
New features in the flagship title Photoshop are Truer Edge which has better edge detecting technology, and of course Content-Aware Fill, which definitely looks like magic. Native 64-bit support for both Photoshop, Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects is big news too, for file processing alone.
Full release below, with prices which start at $US1699 for the Creative Suite 5 Production Premium kit. [BusinessWire]
SAN JOSE, Calif.—(BUSINESS WIRE)—Adobe Systems Incorporated Adobe Systems Incorporated (Nasdaq:ADBE) today announced Adobe® Creative Suite® 5 product family, a breakthrough release of the industry-leading Web, design and development software for virtually every creative workflow. Focusing on interactivity, performance and maximizing the impact of digital content and marketing campaigns, the Creative Suite 5 product line brings exciting full-version upgrades of flagship creative tools while delivering significant workflow enhancements to designers and developers. Featuring integration with online content and digital marketing measurement and optimization capabilities for the first time, Creative Suite 5 products include access to signature Omniture technologies, to capture, store and analyse information generated by Web sites and other sources. Additionally, a brand new component, Adobe Flash® Catalyst™, joins the Creative Suite, ushering in the ability to design interactive content without writing code and improve the collaborative process between designer and developer.
The Adobe CS5 product family also enables the creation of content and applications for the much-anticipated releases of Flash Player 10.1 and Adobe AIR® 2, which are optimised for high performance on mobile screens and designed to take advantage of native device capabilities for a richer, more immersive user experience.
This release line-up includes the following Creative Suite 5 editions:
* Creative Suite 5 Master Collection (see separate release)
* Creative Suite 5 Design Premium (see separate release)
* Creative Suite 5 Design Standard
* Creative Suite 5 Web Premium (see separate release)
* Creative Suite 5 Production Premium (see separate release)
Also included are 15 point products, associated technologies and integration with new Adobe CS Live services: (CS Live online services are complimentary for a limited time.)*
* Photoshop® CS5 (see separate release)
* Illustrator® CS5 (see separate release)
* InDesign® CS5 (see separate release)
* Acrobat® 9 Pro
* Flash Catalyst CS5 (see separate release)
* Flash Professional CS5
* Flash® BuilderTM 4
* Dreamweaver® CS5
* Fireworks® CS5
* Contribute® CS5
* Adobe® Premiere® Pro CS5 (see separate release)
* After Effects® CS5
* Encore® CS5
* Soundbooth® CS5
* Adobe® OnLocationTM CS5
* Adobe Bridge CS5
* Adobe Device Central CS5
* Adobe Dynamic Link
* Truer Edge technology in Photoshop CS5 Extended offers improved edge detecting technology and masking results in less time. Photoshop CS5 Extended also lets users remove an image element and immediately replace the missing pixels with Content-Aware Fill.
* InDesign CS5 powers the transition to digital publishing with new interactive documents and enhanced eReader device support.
* Native 64-bit support in Photoshop, Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects enables customers to work more fluidly on high resolution projects.
* New Text Layout Framework in Flash Professional CS5 provides professional-level typography capabilities with functions like kerning, ligatures, tracking, leading, threaded text block and multiple columns.
* New stroke options in Illustrator CS5 allow users to create strokes of variable widths and precisely adjust the width at any point along the stroke.
* The NVIDIA® GPU accelerated Adobe Mercury Playback Engine allows Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 users to open projects faster, refine effects-rich HD sequences in real time and play back complex projects without rendering.
* The new Roto Brush tool in After Effects helps users save time by isolating moving foreground elements in a fraction of the normal time.
* Dreamweaver CS5 now supports popular content management systems Drupal, Joomla! and WordPress, allowing designers to get accurate views of dynamic Web content from within Dreamweaver.
Adobe CS Live
Adobe Creative Suite 5 Design Premium integrates with new Adobe CS Live*, a set of five online services that accelerate key aspects of the creative workflow and enable designers to focus on creating their best work. CS Live online services are complimentary for a limited time and currently include:
* Adobe BrowserLab, an indispensable tool for testing Web site content across different browsers and operating systems.
* Adobe CS Review, which enables online design reviews directly from within Creative Suite 5 applications.
* Access to Acrobat.com services, such as Adobe ConnectNow Web conferencing, to enhance discussion and information exchange with colleagues and clients around the globe.
* Adobe Story, a collaborative script writing tool that improves production and post-production workflows in CS5 Production Premium.
* SiteCatalyst® NetAverages™ from Omniture, which provides Web usage data that helps reduce the guesswork early in the creative process when designing for Web and mobile.
Shantanu Narayen, president and chief executive officer, Adobe
* “While Creative Suite 5 continues Adobe’s storied history of delivering astonishing new creative features, this release puts us front and centre of the big issues facing publishers and creatives worldwide – how to build businesses around digital assets and content. With Omniture Web technology we’re integrating critical business analytics directly into the creative process, shortening the time it takes to create and deploy high-impact content.”
Stephen Gates, interactive creative director at Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.
* “Owning the creative process of our nine global brands enables us to offer each hotel a unique, branded experience – from the Web sites to the online and offline advertising campaigns to the interior design – that keeps them creatively differentiated in the same market. Adobe Creative Suite 5 Master Collection gives us everything we need to leverage our digital assets across print, room design, Web, video and mobile, creating a unified experience that is both effective and measurable.”
Peter Marx, vice president of production and technology, Mattel Digital Network
* “Mattel brings kids unparalleled play experiences through innovation and provides parents accessible online resources to help them choose products carefully for their kids. Having all the mission critical tools of Adobe Flash in Creative Suite 5 will allow us to do that quickly, easily and efficiently so that more of our resources can be available to do what we do best – bring new dimensions to how kids play.”
Jacob Rosenberg, chief technology officer/director, Bandito Brothers, creative collective of technologists, filmmakers, and former athletes with clients including Ford, BMW, U.S. Navy, Mountain Dew, Kellogg’s, NASCAR and the U.S. Marine Corps.
* “Adobe Creative Suite 5 Master Collection helps us from shot clean-up to shot delivery, up to and including full feature film post production. When it comes to marketing our productions and creating ancillary content, Master Collection is a one-stop shop for creating everything from posters and pamphlets to Web pages and interactive content. It’s an all-in-one media toolkit for post-production and video professionals that works with all the latest and greatest new formats, including native support for DSLRs.”
* Adobe CEO Video
* Adobe TV Creative Suite 5 tutorials
* Adobe Creative Suite Facebook fan page
* Adobe Creative Suite Twitter page
* Adobe Creative Suite Buzz Hub
* Adobe Creative Suite 5 Education Solutions
* Adobe Creative Suite 5 Student and Teacher editions
Pricing and Availability
Adobe Creative Suite 5 and its associated point products are scheduled to ship within 30 days, with availability through Adobe authorised Resellers, the Adobe Store and Adobe Direct Sales.
* Estimated street price for:
o Adobe Creative Suite 5 Master Collection is expected to be US$2599
o Adobe Creative Suite 5 Design Premium is expected to be US$1899
o Adobe Creative Suite 5 Design Standard is expected to be US$1299
o Adobe Creative Suite 5 Web Premium is expected to be US$1799
o Adobe Creative Suite 5 Production Premium is expected to be US$1699
o Tiered upgrade pricing from previous versions is also available. For more detailed information about features, upgrade policies, pricing and international versions please visit www.adobe.com/creativesuite.