A man hassled a neighbour over his Wi-Fi allergies, and we dismissed him as a member of the tin-foil hat brigade. Now we're reading PopSci's look at the electro-hypersensitivity - the real deal gadget allergy - and we're feeling sorta like arseholes.
The article opens with an anecdote of Per Segerbäck, a serious electro-hypersensitive who lives in a cottage north of Stockholm. He can be rendered unconscious by a single mobile phone call.
The sickness stems not from the gadgets themselves but from the electromagnetic radiation they produce; it seeps from phones, computers, televisions, and pretty much anything else that you'd say defines our modern society as modern. Making matters even worse for Segerbäck and the similarly afflicted is that the science on electro-hypersensitivity is far from a consensus.