Remember the hardcore guts of the Dell M6500 workstation ? The M4500 is just like that, except at 15.6 inches you've actually got a shot at carrying it around in comfort. It's also the most powerful workstation of it size.
The M4500 supports both Core i5 and Core i7-920XM Quad Core processors along with optional Nvidia Quadro FX 1800M or Quadro FX 880M graphics. And its starting weight of 2.7kg makes it a mobile workstation that's actually, well, portable.
It's also the first mobile 15.6-inch mobile workstation to come with an optional $US220 64GB SSD MiniCard for more storage and better battery life. Speaking of which: the M4500 is listed as getting 7 hours and 40 minutes, which is a pretty impressive claim for such a hardcore machine.
Its target audience is distinctly professional: oil and gas, federal, medical, that sort of thing. On the plus side, that means Dell's packed the M4500 with government-level fingerprint security. On the down side? This thing's going to cost when it's finally made available worldwide in the next few weeks.
Liberating creative professionals, 3D animators, engineers and research scientists from their desks, Dell unleashes the world's most powerful 15.6-inch mobile workstation
· Hardware Certification On More Than 95 Applications From More Than 35 Key Independent Software Vendors , Assures Compatibility and optimised Performance
· First 15.6-inch Mobile Workstation to Offer Optional SSD MiniCard for Additional High-performance Data Storage
· Dell Precision T7500, T5500 and T3500 Tower Workstations to Be Among the First to Offer Intel® Xeon® 5600 (Westmere-EP) Processors
ROUND ROCK, TX, Mar. 9, 2010 – For those with the passion to discover, imagine and create the future, "on-the-go" access to workstation-class computing provides the freedom to work wherever inspiration strikes. This passion to create is why Dell continues to push the boundaries of workstation performance and mobility with the announcement today of the world's most powerful 15.6-inch mobile workstation¹-the Dell Precision M4500.
The Dell Precision M4500 joins Dell's family of mobile workstations, which includes the world's most powerful 17 inch mobile workstation, the Dell Precision M6500.
The new mobile workstation is designed to liberate creative professionals, designers, animators, engineers and research scientists from their desks. The M4500 also supports the missions of defence customers who require mobile workstation performance and security, including authentication and data encryption, when in the field.
Workstation Mobility Redefined: The Dell Precision M4500The M4500 is the world's first mobile workstation to offer a 64GB SSD MiniCard for additional high-performance data storage and user selectable thermal tables that enable better performance in turbo mode along with extended battery life. In addition to the M6500, the M4500 provides near instant access to email, calendar, contacts, the Internet and virtual remote desktops with a new revolutionary technology called Dell Precision ON.
Other product highlights include:
· Available with optional Intel Core i7-920XM Quad Core Extreme Edition, Core™ i7 and Intel® Core™ i5 processors linked with fast 1066MHz and 1333MHz memory for compute intensive and memory bandwidth sensitive applications;
· Optional NVIDIA® Quadro FX 1800M or Quadro FX 880M graphics with 1GB of dedicated memory for large models and models with high texture;
· Optional HD+ sRGB LED 15.6-inch screen with 100 percent user selectable colour gamut support;
· Optional 3MP camera and Gobi 2.0 mobile broadband support with a multi-touch touchpad for greater user flexibility;
· Enables easy portability with a starting weight of only 6.0 lbs; and,
· Support for the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Microsoft Windows 7, Vista, XP, along with Red Hat® Linux 5.3 64-bit.
Like the Dell Precision M6500, the M4500 offers compatibility and optimised performance on 95 key applications from leading Independent Software Vendors (ISVs) such as Adobe, Autodesk, Dassault Systèmes and Schlumberger.
The Dell Precision M4500 mobile workstation will be available for order globally in the coming weeks. More details can be found at www.dell.com/precision.
Compatibility for Ease of Use and Deployment
The M4500, as a part of the Dell E-Family product line, is compatible with E-Family accessories, including port replicators, notebook stands, display and monitor stands and external storage modules. In addition, the M4500 comes with optional security features including Dell ControlVault security, FIPS fingerprint reader and a contactless smart card reader, delivering comprehensive security options.
Dell Services offers a suite of highly customizable service and support solutions throughout the PC lifecycle including Dell ProSupport and Dell ProManage. Dell also offers a robust set of services for organizations looking to migrate to Windows 7. In addition, Dell offers flexible computing solutions, working with organizations to build a comprehensive solution for virtualization-infrastructure sizing, deployment and ongoing support.