This week in the App Store it may as well’ve been 1991: We’ve got Lollapalooza! Monkey Island! Novel self-help strategies! Glittery-clothed strippers! And last but not nearly least, everyone’s favourite defunct supermarket tabloid! The Golden Age of culture, people.
Weekly World News
For over 30 years, the Weekly World News has been the World’s ONLY Reliable News Source. The Weekly World News bares the TRUTH about UFOs, aliens, monsters, Elvis’ whereabouts, cryptids, popular celebrities, and the mutant freaks that live among us.
Considering you can get basically the entire archives of the paper for free on Google Books, it seems dumb that this $US1 app only gives you access to covers, though the add-your-own-face feature is pretty neat. Granted, this could have been a content ratings thing, because half of the dead magazine’s columnists were basically insane, or sexist, or some other terrible kind of “ist”. It’s part of the charm! [via Gawker]
Pocket DancerThere is absolutely no way to use this without looking ad feeling like a creep
The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition
This Week’s App News on Giz:
• TheXchange: Will This Porn iPhone App Survive the Apple Banhammer?
• iDisk iPhone App Lightning Review: Halfway There
• Soon We’ll Be Able to Search the App Store For More Than Exact Product Names
• Apple’s Chickenshit Approval Process Has Gone Too Far
• EA Bringing Madden, FIFA Franchises to the iPhone
• iPhone Owners Score Free MobileMe iDisk App
• Offender Locator Tracks Sex Offenders on Your iPhone
• iWet T-Shirts: Yet Another iPhone App That Makes Me Shake My Head in Shame
• GV Mobile Google Voice App Available For Free On The iPhone via Cydia
• Nissan Developing iPhone App to Monitor Electric Cars
• Apple Rejects Official Google Voice iPhone App
• Multiplayer Chess iPhone App Is Very Cool, But Probably Won’t Be a Bestseller
• Spotify iPhone App Kills Pandora, Last.FM, Slacker and iTunes in One Shot
• Weirdest Use of Spreadsheets I’ve Ever Heard
• Man, Don’t Choices Suck?
• Passion iPhone App Will Let You ‘See How Good You Are at Sex’
• Resident Evil 4 Brings More Re-Killing Zombies to the iPhone
• Top Three iPhone Apps: Weed, Booze, and Partial Nudity
• Apple Will Let iPhone Apps Augment Our Sad Little Realities in September With OS 3.1
This list is in no way definitive. If you’ve spotted a great app that hit the store this week, give us a heads up or, better yet, your firsthand impressions in the comments. Have a good weekend everybody.