We have seen conductive chargers like this before, but it appears to be one of the first from a big brand like Duracell. Apparently, Power Sleeve and/or Power Clip adapters that are needed for myGrid compatibility will be available for several popular phone brands like Apple, Blackberry, Nokia and Motorola. Unfortunately, if your phone requires a Power Sleeve to work with the myGrid, that means you are going to have to deal with a case—which isn’t for everyone (including me).
Along with myGrid, Duracell has unveiled several new compact gadget chargers as well as a portable battery charger that can power up rechargeable AA or AAA NiMH batteries in an hour. Expect the myGrid charger to be available for $US80 starting in October. The rest of the Smart Power lineup is available now. Check out the press release for full details.
NEW DURACELL SMART POWER INITIATIVE TAKES THE BRAND BEYOND THE BATTERY
Initiative Brings to Market Innovative, New Products Designed to Meet the Consumer’s Changing Needs for Efficient and Reliable Personal Power
BETHEL, Conn., Aug. 20, 2009 – Duracell today launched its new Duracell Smart Power initiative, which expands the brand’s product portfolio beyond the traditional battery to address the ever-growing and ever-changing power needs of the modern consumer. The company’s latest offerings, such as the new drop-and-go myGrid™ charging pad, fall under an emerging category of personal power solutions and signify Duracell’s commitment to keeping today’s consumers connected to the devices they need the most at all times.
Duracell Smart Power and its range of personal power solutions continue the company’s focus on reliability, performance and technological innovation but now deliver added power efficiency allowing consumers the freedom to live beyond the grid. More than 10 new products mark the start of Duracell Smart Power ranging from myGrid™ to on-the-go compact power chargers, new rechargeable battery chargers and patented LED technology for flashlights.
“Duracell Smart Power is an evolution of Duracell’s heritage that builds upon the reliability and performance that our batteries have and will always deliver. This initiative will serve as an important lens for future product innovation as we expand the breadth of our offerings to address the evolution of personal power,” said Rick June, Duracell Vice President and General Manager, North America. “Our new personal power solutions allow consumers the freedom to live their lives without the limits of staying tethered to today’s power grid. It is charging made simple.”
Duracell Smart Power Products
Duracell Smart Power products represent state-of-the-art charging performance. Making charging simpler, creating new ways to take extra power with you, and providing new ways to maximize power efficiency, Duracell’s latest developments showcase innovation beyond the battery. Products include:
· Duracell myGrid™ charging pad – Consumers can enjoy a better daily charging experience with this device that eliminates the mess of multiple cords by simultaneously charging multiple devices, such as cell phones, MP3 music players or other mobile devices. Once the charging pad is plugged in, your devices can go cordless. By simply fitting a device with a Power Sleeve™ or Power Clip™, you can drop your device on myGrid™ and go.
· Duracell Instant Charger – This compact Lithium Ion Rechargeable charger provides reserve power for popular mobile devices, such as BlackBerrys, iPods and mobile phones that come with USB power cords. A USB-to-mini-USB cord is included. Mobile users can now enjoy up to 35 hours of additional power that is efficiently managed with an on/off switch.
· Duracell Powerhouse Charger – Provides reserve power for consumers’ most critical devices, including any cell phone, PDA or MP3 player that comes with a USB power cord or can connect to the Powerhouse’s mini-USB arm. Powerhouse also comes with a USB-to-mini-USB cord and features an on/off switch for power conservation, making it a must for today’s frequent travelers.
· Duracell Pocket Charger – A pocket-sized, supplemental Lithium Ion Rechargeable power source works with all USB-powered cell phones. Pocket Charger provides convenient power when a cell phone battery dies and the owner is away from the traditional outlet for recharging. The Pocket Charger offers cell phone users up to 60 percent more talk time and includes a mini-USB charging arm as well as a USB-to-mini-USB cord.
· Duracell GoMobile – The Energy Star-certified GoMobile delivers a charge to AA or AAA NiMH batteries in just one hour. Designed to fit in a car’s cup holder, it also is designed to fit with home décor and comes with four Duracell Pre-Charged Rechargeable batteries that can be recharged hundreds of times while holding their charge for up to one year when not in use.
· Duracell GoEasy – The Energy Star-certified GoEasy is compact enough to go where you go and charges up to two AA or AAA NiMH batteries. It comes with two rechargeable batteries that can be recharged hundreds of times.
· Duracell Daylite LED Flashlight – Captures up to 100 percent of light to focus a brighter, whiter beam, while providing 5 times the battery life of everyday “incandescent bulb” flashlights. The Daylite series, initially introduced in fall 2008, now includes five new models with Daylite Tough flashlights, spotlights and headlamps.
These innovations complement the company’s existing portfolio of time-tested CopperTop and rechargeable battery solutions. For more information, visit www.duracell.com/smartpower.
Pricing and Availability
The new Duracell myGrid™ will be available in the U.S. in fall 2009 for a suggested retail price (SRP) of $US79.99. Packages will include a myGrid™ charging pad, Power Clip adaptor and Power Clip tips for BlackBerry, Motorola and Nokia phones. Power Sleeves are also available for purchase separately for the BlackBerry Curve 8300 series and the Blackberry Pearl 8100 series. Additional Power Sleeves, Power Clips and Power Clip adapters have a suggested retail price of $US34.99.
The three Duracell Lithium-Ion Rechargeables (Instant, Powerhouse and Pocket Charger) are available now at mass merchandisers, drug and hardware stores nationwide. Suggested retail prices are $US19.99 for the Duracell Pocket Charger, $US29.99 for the Duracell Instant Charger, and $US49.99 for the Duracell Powerhouse Charger.
The Duracell GoEasy and GoMobile chargers can be purchased currently at major retailers, including drug, grocery and hardware stores nationwide and have a suggested retail price of $US12.99 and $US29.99 respectively.
The complete Duracell Daylite LED flashlight series is currently available at major retailers, including drug, grocery and hardware stores nationwide. Flashlights range from $US14.99 to $US34.99 SRP.