Remember a couple of years ago when Apple launched the first iPhone in the US and neglected Australia? Remember how heaps of people couldn’t wait to get their hands on the so-called ‘Jesus-phone’ so bought it on the grey market, then jailbroke it so it would work in Australia? Well, reader Andrew was one of those people, and after some playing around with the new 3.0 OS and downgrading back to the current 2.2 software, he discovered that he suddenly had Vodafone’s visual voicemail working.
The clip above shows that he’s got it working, but for any of you who have the original iPhone handset and a Vodafone SIM card, here’s what Andrew did to get visual voicemail working:
1. I downloaded the iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw.
2. Put my iphone into DFU mode, opened itunes 8.2 (23) and selected the above ipsw.
(It did the normal, installed fine, but was bricked and I only could make emergency calls. The difference was instead of no signal, it had a signal from vodafone au.)
3. Put my iphone back into DFU mode. Opened itunes 8.2 (23) and selected iPhone1,1_2.2_5G77_Restore.ipsw. itunes came up with an error after the install.
4. Opened Pwanage Tool 2.2.1. Using simple mode, iphone, I selected Phone1,1_2.2_5G77_Restore.ipsw. Let it do its business.
5. Put the iphone back into DFU mode. Opened itunes 8.2 (23) and selected iPhone1,1_2.2_5G77_Custom_Restore.ipsw.
6. Had a look around the phone and noticed visual voicemail had shown up.
7. Using Cydia, I installed big boss prefs back on the iphone. I turned edge on then turned data roaming on.
8. I now have visual voicemail.