As expected, the new Apple iPhone 3GS is out. And we were right: These screens and iPhone were real. Our hands-on is here. All the details about the iPhone 3GS' new features are after the jump (still updating):
The "S" stands for "SPEED!" And according to Apple, it is faster.
• The iPhone 3GS has a new processor built-in. Apple claims that it is up to two times faster than the previous generation: Launching messages is 2.1 faster, load the NY Times in Safari: 2.9 times faster. It also consumes less, which has an impact on the improved battery life.
This is one of the strong points of the iPhone 3GS, according to Apple, with an increased resolution to 3 megapixels, and—according to the Apple—much better quality under all conditions.
• 3 Megapixels sensor.
• New camera, with auto focus, auto exposure, and auto white balance.
• You can also tap to focus, changing white balance in the process. That is really neat, if you ask me.
• Special macro and low light modes.
• The camera also supports photo and video geotagging.
• Any application can access all the camera functions now.
• It supports video, 30 frames per second VGA with auto focus, auto white balance, and auto exposure.
• Can trim video with a tap of the finger, and share it with MMS, email, MobileMe and YouTube.
The other part of the "S" is the support for the faster 7.2 Mbps 3G standard, which in theory will deliver data faster to your iPhone.
• Three band UMTS/HSDPA.
• Four band GSM/EDGE.
• Wi-Fi 802.11b/g.
• Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
• The new iPhone 3GS includes new 3D graphics support in hardware. This means faster and more complicated 3D games.
• Same 3.5-inch widescreen multitouch display, but this time it has a fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating. I wonder if it will withstand a full frontal Shake Shack burger attack.
• Same design as before, including the glossy finish of the back (so much for all the rumours about the matte back.)
• Same size as the old iPhone 3G: 11.4 x 6.1 x 1.2 cm.
• The weight increases a bit: One ounce to 4.8 ounces (135 grams vs 133 grams).
• Greener materials: Arsenic-free glass, BDF-free, Mercury-free LCD.
New special features
• It has a compass application, which works with the included magnetometer. It's integrated into the new maps, showing orientation, alongside longitude and latitude.
• Voice control. You can now talk with your iPhone, Enterprise-style. You can instruct it to play similar songs to the one you are playing, or call people.
• Nike + support built in.
• Supports accessibility features, like zooming on text, inverting video, and voice over when you touch whatever text is on screen.
• One of the more important new features is the increased battery life.
• According to Apple, you will get up to 12 hours of talk time on 2G and 5 on 3G, with a up to 300 hour standby time.
• On 3G, it will deliver 5 hours of internet use.
• On Wi-Fi, Internet goes up to 9 hours.
• Video playback is 10 hours vs 30 hours for audio.
Price and availability
• $US199 for 16GB version.
• $US299 for 32GB version.
• Available on June 19th.
If you are "a valued AT&T customer," AT&T offers an "early iPhone upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and an $US18 upgrade fee." The price? $US399.00 for the 16GB iPhone 3G S and $US499.00 for the 32GB iPhone 3G S. Way to go AT&T.