Welcome to Gizmodo’s new regular Monday run down of what’s coming soon in the world of science fiction entertainment. This week: Netflix gets new content, Harry Potter’s universe expands and Jurassic World dinos look odd before SFX.
Bits And Pieces
• It’s February, which means new TV shows and movies are being added to Netflix’s library. Check out everything that’s new this month including LOVE, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Sword Of Destiny, Avengers: Age of Ultron and even Sharknado 3.
• It’s been a great week for Harry Potter fans, with J.K. Rowling revealing the details of three new international wizarding schools in the universe of Harry Potter, as well as releasing a behind-the-scenes look at Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them with Eddie Redmayne.
• We may have almost two years to wait for the next episode, but Star Wars isn’t slowing down on content. The official blog has been putting out everything from in-universe details like maps and locations to the most cheeky and interesting easter eggs to be found in The Force Awakens the next time you watch it (because they know you will watch it again).
• Jurassic World has also released an exclusive look behind the scenes of that blockbuster, revealing how some of its special effects were created. Those triceratops the kids were riding in the petting zoo? Turns out they’re just human stuntmen on their hands and knees. I hope they had kneepads!
• Less than two weeks out from its Valentine’s day release, Deadpool has a new trailer that showcases some of its female characters, albeit with a somewhat questionable name.
• Kevin Conroy is voicing Batman once again in a brand new show for Cartoon Network called Justice League Action. Batman will be teaming up with Superman and Wonder Woman, along with a rotating cast of DC heroes in this new quarter-hour animated show.
• Speaking of Batman, Jada Pinkett Smith will be returning as Fish Mooney in the new season of Gotham. Season 2 is premiering in the US at the end of February, but there’s no word yet on when (or if) it’ll be coming to Australia.
• Netflix’s House Of Cards has been renewed for a fifth season with series star Kevin Spacey returning for the new series. Creator and showrunner Beau Willimon will not be returning to the show, however.
• For those who questioned how Captain Phasma would have been able to escape the exploding Starkiller Base at the end of The Force Awakens… well, your question hasn’t quite been answered but Gwendoline Christie has confirmed that she will indeed be back for Episode VIII.