Despite the fact that Facebook has not one, but two outpost offices set up in Australia, you think that when a “World Hack” event came around that we’d be on the guest list, right? Wrong.
Facebook has been holding its hackathon events in one form or another since the birth of the social network, and now it’s taking those events around the world with World Hack.
Coders from around the world will converge to build a new social app under the watchful eye of Facebook’s developer advocates. The winner from each continent will score a trip to San Francisco to tour the Facebook campus and meet the team.
Facebook will hold World Hack events in 12 cities around the world between August 23 and October 1, and not one of those cities is in Australia.
Here’s the list of event cities:
- Austin, USA – August 23
- Mexico City, Mexico – August 27
- Buenos Aires, Argentina – August 29
- São Paulo, Brazil – August 31
- Berlin, Germany – September 11
- Taipei, Taiwan – September 11
- Jakarta, Indonesia – September 13
- Bangalore, India – September 17
- Barcelona, Spain – September 18
- Vancouver, Canada – September 20
- Warsaw, Poland — September 28
- Moscow, Russia – October 1
You would have thought that Sydney might get a courtesy event just to tell the millions of subscribers down here that the social network still cares about them?
Looks like the joke’s on you, Facebook. Even if you did hold an event, we couldn’t come. We’re all, um…washing our hair that day. So there. [Facebook]