The Case Of The Exploding Samsung Galaxy S III Has Been Solved

Smartphones rarely, if ever, combust or melt of their own accord, so when a Samsung Galaxy S III owner stepped forward last month, claiming his shiny new device had met a fiery end, his experience came under heavy scrutiny. As expected, Samsung tracked down the phone and had the damage assessed, with the resulting report leaving the owner with little choice by to fess up and declare the accident "a stupid mistake".

The original claim was posted on forum Boards.ie by a user named "dillo2k10". The thread has since been deleted, however, a Google-cached version reveals the owner's tall tale:

So I [sic] driving along today with my Galaxy S3 in my car mount when suddenly a white flame, sparks and a bang came out of the phone. I pulled in to look at my phone, the phone burned from the inside out. Burned through the plastic and melted my case to my phone. The phone kept working but without any signal ... The phone was destroyed and it slightly burned a piece of plastic on the inside of my car.

With the user based in Ireland, Samsung commissioned Fire Investigations UK to check the device and verify his story. Not only was FIUK able to determine that the damage had occurred from an external source, but specifically what that source was:

"The only way it was possible to produce damage similar to the damage recorded within the owner's damaged device was to place the devices or component parts within a domestic microwave".

Ah yes, the old... phone-in-the-microwave trick? Haven't heard of that one before. With the truth ascertained, dillo2k10 was kind enough to post a suspiciously formal retraction explaining what really happened:

The damage to the phone was caused by another person, although they were attempting to recover the phone from water this later caused the damage shown on the phone. It occurred due to a large amount of external energy and there was no fault with the phone. This was not a deliberate act but a stupid mistake.

So, kids, don't go drying your phones in the microwave. But you probably already knew that anyway.

[Samsung Tomorrow]


Comments

    I think my dad must have moved to Ireland.

    Last time he dropped his phone in the toilet he used the microwave to try and dry it. I thought he'd learned that lesson...

    world can do do without asshoooles doing stoopid things and blaming others... duh.

    AHahahhahhHAHAHAHAhahahha

    He should be sued for defamation

      This comment has been deemed inappropriate and has been deleted.

      defamation of the reasons for the deformation of his phone, oh man, self chuckles.

    Oh well I'm not a smartphone user but i guess there will be a string of Irish jokes borne of the silly saga of the exploding Samsung S3. did the silly Irishman think he could pull the wool over Samsung's eyes.

    ^hahahahahhahahHAHAHAHHAHAHAhahaha

    Phone Microwave Time Machine anyone?

      He mixed up where he needed to put the phone and the banana I guess.

    Should have put the phone into a bag full of UNCOOKED rice and sealed it up to remove the water from the phone.

      and then microwaved it all to have a bit of lunch after blowing up his phone.

    What about the exploding iPhone last year?

      Did you miss that? Misplaced screw from a dodgy repair job punctured the battery and caused a short.

    could it be though that Samsung paid him enough money to say the phone was not to blame?

    just stirrin haha, i love my SGS2.

    Ahhhh yes, I remember when this showed up on The Verge and a bunch of commenters instantly sprung on the Android/Samsung hate brigade. Turns out the guy was just a clueless idiot who shouldn't have posted that comment in the first place.

    What the hell was he thinking? He should have pressed the "defrost" button, not the "cook" button. Clearly and honest mistake........... :S

    Seriously, if anyone finds themselves in this predicament, don't do that. Instead, try and open the device as much as possible and start using ethanol based alcohol to clean the inside (not the screen). Use a hairdryer on a warm setting to dry the device. Leave in a warm dry place for 24 hours and then assemble. cross fingers and hope for the best.

      No.
      Don't "try" anything.
      Leave it turned off and get it in to a service center ASAP.
      People keep "trying" all kinds of crap and often end up only making matters worse..
      Just like this idiot.

    As bad as that story about the old lady who when her cat got drenched in the rain she decided to put it in the microwave to heat it up.

      Yeah, that's probably a stupid urban myth- because cats HATE being closed up in small cages. A little old lady would find herself getting a very cheap and messy facelift, if her little old arms were even strong enough to force the creature in there.

    Then why does the back of the samsung say "Microwave safe" if you can't heat it!

Join the discussion!

Trending Stories Right Now