Welcome to Shooting Challenge, where Gizmodo readers test their photographic skills for the admiration of their editors — and for the chance to win a shiny new Olympus OM-D EM-5 camera…
The Olympus OM-D EM-5 is designed to make the jump into Micro Four-Thirds shooting easy. With Live View functionality that lets you see exactly what a shot will look like before you take it, coupled with a 5-axis in-body image stabiliser for shooting in low light, and a retro design inspired by the first OM-D from 1972, the EM-5 lets you capture some beautiful shots. More at Olympus.
We’re excited to be able to give this camera away to Gizmodo’s Shooting Challenge faithful.
The kit you’re playing for is valued at $1499, and includes the OM-D EM-5 body and 12-50mm lens, both of which are weatherproof so you can feel confident when Mother Nature turns on you.
This Week’s Challenge: Winter
The cold is starting to creep in and the soft blue and grey hues of winter make perfect fodder for photographers everywhere. This week, we want you to go out and shoot for the image you think best captures winter. It doesn’t have to be snow or rain, either. It could be a shot of you rugged up in bed escaping the winter cold, it could be a shot of the heat rising from the bars of your heater or a roaring open fire keeping you and yours warm. Whatever you think best encapsulates winter.
We don’t want stuff that’s been too heavily photoshopped, and you have to include that all important EXIF data with your entry otherwise it won’t be eligible for entry in the Shooting Challenge.
How Judging Works
- For four weeks, Gizmodo readers will vote one weekly Shooting Challenge finalist through to the prize round to be judged and announced by Gizmodo editors on Friday, July 25.
- This week’s entries close at 10am on Tuesday, July 17.
- ‘Winter’ voting begins at 11.30am on Tuesday, July 17, and close at 10am on Tuesday, July 24.
- Full terms and conditions.
- The work must be your own.
- Photos need to be taken the week of the contest (July 12-July 17). No portfolio shots please.
- EXIF info must be visible to us — check for it before you submit!
- Explain (briefly) the photography equipment, settings, technique and story behind the shot.
- Include your shooting summary (camera, lens, ISO, etc) in the body of the email along with a story of the shot in a few sentences.
- Entries must be submitted via the entry form below.
- Don’t forget to name your image attachment properly!
- Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameWinter.jpg naming convention.
- Please ensure your image is at least 800px wide and no larger than 3MB.
- One submission per person.
- Don’t skip the story part because it’s often the most enjoyable part for us all beyond the great photos!
Submit Your Entry
Need Inspiration? Check out the previous Gizmodo Shooting Challenges.
This form has been tested and we’ve been receiving great entries — but if you’re having issues submitting, please contact Danny Allen.