Welcome to Shooting Challenge, where Gizmodo readers test their photographic skills for the admiration of their editors — and for the second month — the chance to win a shiny new Olympus OM-D EM-5 camera…
Note: We have altered the terms and conditions [PDF] for the Shooting Challenge. Linking friends from your social networks to the Gizmodo voting page is encouraged, however, use of “vote farming” sites including (but not limited to) GetOnlineVotes or linking directly to polldaddy.com will now result in instant disqualification. The goal is to grow the Giz Shooting Community in the fairest way possible.
Also a reminder to please be respectful and constructive if leaving a comment about a photo.
That’s right, we’re back with a second Olympus OM-D EM-5 camera to giveaway! The EM-5 is designed to make the jump into Micro Four-Thirds shooting easy. With Live View functionality that lets you see exactly what a shot will look like before you take it, coupled with a 5-axis in-body image stabiliser for shooting in low light, and a retro design inspired by the first OM-D from 1972, the EM-5 lets you capture some beautiful shots. More at Olympus.
We’re excited to be able to give this one more away to Gizmodo’s Shooting Challenge faithful.
The kit you’re playing for is valued at $1499, and includes the OM-D EM-5 body and 12-50mm lens, both of which are weatherproof so you can feel confident when Mother Nature turns on you.
This Week’s Challenge: Textures
It’s second camera time, and the OMD is one sexy piece of kit. It begs to be picked up and held, and when you do, it rewards you thanks to the awesome alloy body and rubber grips. It’s that look and feel that has inspired this week’s shooting challenge: texture!
Rough and smooth, wet and dry, hard and soft. We want you to show us the best image you can capture that shows us textures so rich, you can feel them caressing your fingertips through the screen. Anything that you think encapsulates a texture, we want to see it for this week’s challenge.
We don’t want stuff that’s been too heavily photoshopped, and you have to include that all important EXIF data with your entry otherwise it won’t be eligible for entry in the Shooting Challenge.
How Judging Works
- Once again, for four weeks, Gizmodo readers will vote one weekly Shooting Challenge finalist through to the prize round to be judged and announced by Gizmodo editors on Friday, August 21.
- This week’s entries close at 10am on Tuesday, July 24.
- ‘Texture’ voting will begin at 11.30am on Tuesday, July 24, and close at 10am on Tuesday, July 31.
- The work must be your own.
- You must berespectful and constructive if leaving a comment
- Photos need to be taken the week of the contest (July 17-July 24). No portfolio shots please.
- EXIF info must be visible to us — check for it before you submit!
- Explain (briefly) the photography equipment, settings, technique and story behind the shot.
- Include your shooting summary (camera, lens, ISO, etc) in the body of the email along with a story of the shot in a few sentences.
- Entries must be submitted via the entry form below.
- Don’t forget to name your image attachment properly!
- Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameTexture.jpg naming convention.
- Please ensure your image is at least 800px wide and no larger than 3MB.
- One submission per person.
- Don’t skip the story part because it’s often the most enjoyable part for us all beyond the great photos!
Submit Your Entry
Need Inspiration? Check out the previous Gizmodo Shooting Challenges.
This form has been tested and we’ve been receiving great entries — but if you’re having issues submitting, please contact Danny Allen.