The Bergen Facebook Addiction Scale has been put together by leading psychologists who study addiction. It’s based on six basic criteria, and each one is scored on the following scale: (1) Very rarely, (2) Rarely, (3) Sometimes, (4) Often and (5) Very often. To test yourself, simply read through the following list, ascribing that five-point scale to each statement:
- You spend a lot of time thinking about Facebook or plan use of Facebook.
- You feel an urge to use Facebook more and more.
- You use Facebook in order to forget about personal problems.
- You have tried to cut down on the use of Facebook without success.
- You become restless or troubled if you are prohibited from using Facebook.
- You use Facebook so much that it has had a negative impact on your job/studies.
If you score “often” or “always” on at least four of the six items, in the eyes of world-leading psychologists you are addicted to Facebook. Don’t worry: admitting you have a problem is the first step towards recovery. [Psychological Reports via Science Daily]